PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yugh! Especially in Chicago, which is sort of bad for taxes (and corruption, and murder, etc). It has been a political machine town for over a century and it's always going broke, so taxes are always going up! I would rank it up there with California for places with insane tax burdens.
Try crossing a bridge in NYC. Some are as high as $16. Annual property taxes in the NY suburbs of 20k and up is extremely common.
My monthly train pass is now almost $500.
New York is extremely hostile to the middle class. It's time for me to leave.
My understanding is Illinois tobacco tax is 18%. New York is 75%.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm like a 5th or 6th generation New Yorker. My family has been here since coming over from Europe in the 1800's and it's gotten so out of hand I'm ready to move down to the Carolina's or maybe Texas.
It's insane. Hell there was the guy who ran for Mayor and his platform was "rent's too damn high". lmao

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
NYC seems to have a lot of wealthy people. That means that they don't mind paying a lot, and everyone else just has to lump it :(

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There are a lot of uber wealthy people and a lot of poor people. The middle class is getting squeezed out.
The homeless rate since the economy turned to crap must be a lot higher than before. It used to be I'd see one or two on the 10 block walk from the station to my office and now I see 10 to 15. Also 15 years ago it was mostly older men now it's a ton of younger people.
The crazy part is when the housing bubble burst NYC wasn't affected in the slightest. Hell any neighborhood within a couple subway stops of Manhattan is ridiculous.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Fitzy that's savage stuff. Durning the celtic tiger there was a notion abroad the Ireland should move ideologically closer to NY than Berlin.

Blithley that direction was followed. The crisis in homeless and soaring rent is now one that I would consider to be a humanitarian one.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
This crazy guy ran for governor and his party was the "Rents too damn high party"
105671363.jpg

Then it turned out his rent wasn't high at all. I'm not sure if that was blew up his campaign or the balls on his chin. lol

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I read an article about the economic situation few months ago. It was a well written one and it stated clearly that 1 USD will be equal to 1 EUR by the end of this year. So you may want to wait a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.