PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'm glad that you asked because I forgot to post an update the other day.

After gling back and forth with DHL i eventually decided to just have the package shipped back to Estervals. Lucky for my, they were in the process of working out a deal with UPS so they offered to ship my package back to me. It arrived in great condition in just a few days. I'm not sure if they have all of the kinks worked out with UPS as I was told that they are still in a test phase.
So you're saying your UPS order arrived in a few days, no kinks?!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nothing like give a little person power over you. Seems like whoever is the guy at the bottom of the pyramid gets taste of "power" sometimes loses his mind. Pain in the ass is what they are.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
"Good day,

Shipping with UPS is just as fast as with DHL Express. We offer this option because some customers have problems with DHL Express. If you haven't had any problems with DHL Express so far, you are welcome to continue using it or test UPS.

Best regards

Andreas Harm
(CEO Estervals)
"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lucky for my, they were in the process of working out a deal with UPS so they offered to ship my package back to me.
UPS? Oh...Gawd. Untied Parcel Service can be the most completely hapless brain dead army of fuck ups. I avoid them like the pestilence that they are. Typical example of UPS:

Some years ago I'd ordered a new workstation, a full on tower, for my studio. Twice UPS claimed to have attempted to deliver it to me, claiming that no one was home. I was home for both attempts and there was no knock at my door, no doorbell, no attempted delivery notice, nothing. I managed to get the box held for me at their nearest distribution station, about 20 miles away, and went there to retrieve it.

I give the information to the guy behind the counter and he sends an assistant to retrieve the box. The guy can't find it, and continues to search, with another assistant added. About 20 minutes go by and they come out to say that they can't find the box, but will make another attempt if I'm willing to wait, and disappear back into the bowels of the warehouse. This time it's about 50 minutes before they come back empty. The guy at the counter gets off whatever he's been sitting on, gives me an apology and says that he'll file a report.

That's when I realize that the guy at the counter has been sitting all this time on a large box. I ask him to check the labeling on the box, and LO AND BEHOLD it's my workstation! This guy has been resting his fat ass on my workstation while his assistants have been combing the place!

Good luck...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well my first order with Estervals went about as I expected. Held up in Cincinnati. The DHL representative reached out and wants me to fill out multiple forms, one being a Tobacco Import Permit. Has anyone ever gone through the process of actually obtaining the permit? I know there's a post about this situation from a couple of years ago where Greeneyes went through a similar situation but he got by without the tobacco import permit
I don't know if that is a Cincinnati thing but last time I checked that's something for retailers not someone buying personal supplies. I'd call DHL and see if I can talk to someone about the situation. Though one fun fact the people who handle that end of import for courier companies often are far more cautious then custom agents. Because they're being allowed to handle that function in house and it can be taken away from them easily. They're more likely to cross all their t(s) and dot all the I(s) and throw in an extra one for good measure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
UPS? Oh...Gawd. Untied Parcel Service can be the most completely hapless brain dead army of fuck ups. I avoid them like the pestilence that they are. Typical example of UPS:

Some years ago I'd ordered a new workstation, a full on tower, for my studio. Twice UPS claimed to have attempted to deliver it to me, claiming that no one was home. I was home for both attempts and there was no knock at my door, no doorbell, no attempted delivery notice, nothing. I managed to get the box held for me at their nearest distribution station, about 20 miles away, and went there to retrieve it.

I give the information to the guy behind the counter and he sends an assistant to retrieve the box. The guy can't find it, and continues to search, with another assistant added. About 20 minutes go by and they come out to say that they can't find the box, but will make another attempt if I'm willing to wait, and disappear back into the bowels of the warehouse. This time it's about 50 minutes before they come back empty. The guy at the counter gets off whatever he's been sitting on, gives me an apology and says that he'll file a report.

That's when I realize that the guy at the counter has been sitting all this time on a large box. I ask him to check the labeling on the box, and LO AND BEHOLD it's my workstation! This guy has been resting his fat ass on my workstation while his assistants have been combing the place!

Good luck...
I feel like that's the problem with running a large global operation. You can only be as good as the weakest link in the chain. I say that because at least here it's rare to have issues of super stupidity and callous disregard for the job with our local UPS. Only problem I have with them is they used to hit my neighborhood in the morning before I wake up (second shift, is great) and I'd have to stay up to sign for packages.

We live in a country that has the cheapest tobaccos and the largest selections, on a forum with people who live in tobacco deserts... yet, we still have Americans on this forum that feel entitled to order tobaccos from overseas, because they just aren't satisfied with the largest selections of tobacco in the world. Interesting. puffy

smokeystache

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arkansas
We live in a country that has the cheapest tobaccos and the largest selections, on a forum with people who live in tobacco deserts... yet, we still have Americans on this forum that feel entitled to order tobaccos from overseas, because they just aren't satisfied with the largest selections of tobacco in the world. Interesting. puffy
Cheapest tobaccos? You mean cheapest quality? I didn't order 20 tins of smokers pride haha

smokeystache

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arkansas
In the US, we pay less than anyone else in the world for premium tobaccos. I wasn't even talking about Briar Lee's choices in tobaccos, h aha.
I'll admit, we've got it pretty good here in the US but have you ever bought a tin of Capstan for $11 in the states? I'd say no. I know the shipping is expensive but I can get a higher quality tobacco in some blends at a cheaper price from over seas. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting US companies and buying from small business, but when I can't get the same selection here as overseas, I'll still spend my money with those companies.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
Received my fourth order from them in the past year...not a single issue.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes and no. We have a wide selection to choose from, but much of it is pretty same. Blending styles are way different in other parts of the planet, as are sources, and some of those sources are not represented in blends available in the US. When I first tried out some HU blends in 2016 I was impressed by the deep flavor, richness, and balance of the tobaccos. Made some of the blends we have in the US taste like wall paper paste in comparison. If you're happy with what's produced here, great. Not everybody is.
There's also the matter of talent and inventiveness of the blender. Hans is one of the most inventive blenders working today. What he does, largely works for me.

Yes and no. We have a wide selection to choose from, but much of it is pretty same. Blending styles are way different in other parts of the planet, as are sources, and some of those sources are not represented in blends available in the US. When I first tried out some HU blends in 2016 I was impressed by the deep flavor, richness, and balance of the tobaccos. Made some of the blends we have in the US taste like wall paper paste in comparison. If you're happy with what's produced here, great. Not everybody is.
There's also the matter of talent and inventiveness of the blender. Hans is one of the most inventive blenders working today. What he does, largely works for me.
What I posted was very tongue in cheek. I’ve never ordered directly, but I’ve been a part of bulk orders on this forum. But, the main differences I find are that English blends are more heavily cased in what I would call aromatic for my taste.
I only reply for those who have yet to try any of these blends and feel left out. If you want to try these, go ahead. But, keep in mind that what makes these different or special is the sauces.

The humor (or irony) in my original post was that most posts here from people outside the US is about having to pay huge taxes and duties on tobaccos from the US. Or, hugely inflated prices in their countries, or that they only have ten tobaccos to chose from in their country. And, here we are… we sort of have this expectation that nothing is beyond our grasp, even from any country.

That all said, order away. I’m just the guy in the back row making snark. It’s sort of my thing, ha ha. I have no power to stop anyone from doing anything, but I can laugh.