PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
What are the effects of the size of the draw?

This is what I know (or think I know) so far.

The draw is the size of the hole. The bigger it is, the easier it is to suck.

Corncobs seem to have a bigger draw than a briar. Some briar owners sometimes make the hole bigger.

I assume pipe makers have a range of drill bits and consider the size hole they will drill.

Thanks

I take each pipes as unique, and enjoy learning how each pipes likes to be smoked best. Some have a tighter draw, some are wide open. I have never modified a pipe because of the draw.
I personally do not think that a wide open draw is always best. I like there to be some resistance, like pulling on a straw of a soft drink, when the cup is empty, the draw is wide open. When the drink is milkshake the pull is too hard, and when the drink is full of soda, the draw feel perfect.
I know that some love them wide open draws on cobs, but to me, i want there to be a tad of resistance. I know, I know, many cob smokers have identified that wide open draw as a good thing, but not every pipe smoker feels that way.
Cowboy-draw GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'd nitpick a bit. The draw is "how" the air moves through, the bore diameter can affect it. You can have a larger bore and terrible draw and a smaller bore and a great draw. Just depends on a variety of things. To me, a larger bore diameter may give you more margin for error? Someone will let me know pretty quickly if I'm off base with that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know that some love them wide open draws on cobs,
They're only like that because they're filter pipes, the non filtered models are quite a bit more restricted. If you put a 6mm adapter in the filtered stems or use Forever stems, it reduces the draw significantly. Artisan made corn cob pipes haven't got the wide open bore at all.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Flatfish, the effects of chamber and air passage sizes vary and can be adjusted by how the smoker packs their pipe.

Learning how to pack a pipe that "best" suits the way you puff is IMHO, far more important than what the original drilling specs are.

Once you have a grasp of what works best "for you" you then adjust your technique to suit each pipe, be it with a tight draw or open.

It's a journey to find what works best for each of us and that is part of the "fun".

Mike

Mar 1, 2014
I'd nitpick a bit. The draw is "how" the air moves through, the bore diameter can affect it. You can have a larger bore and terrible draw and a smaller bore and a great draw. Just depends on a variety of things. To me, a larger bore diameter may give you more margin for error? Someone will let me know pretty quickly if I'm off base with that.
Yes you will notice a difference in the draw if you polish the airway in the stem, large or small.
For my Churchwarden pipes where drilling larger than 3mm is impossible, I'll still drill a 4mm bore as far as I can, but it makes a big difference after polishing the last few inches toward the button where the airway is small.

Even on short stems where a continuous 4mm bore is possible, the feel of airflow still changes when you knock down all the spiral ridges from the drill bit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What are the effects of the size of the draw?

This is what I know (or think I know) so far.

The draw is the size of the hole. The bigger it is, the easier it is to suck.

Corncobs seem to have a bigger draw than a briar. Some briar owners sometimes make the hole bigger.

I assume pipe makers have a range of drill bits and consider the size hole they will drill.

Thanks
That about sums it up.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
They're only like that because they're filter pipes, the non filtered models are quite a bit more restricted. If you put a 6mm adapter in the filtered stems or use Forever stems, it reduces the draw significantly. Artisan made corn cob pipes haven't got the wide open bore at all.
I was going to write something similar to this. I often buy filter capable Savinelli pipes but don't use filters. I just use the adapter that comes with their filter pipes and find that works fine for me. I haven't smoked one without the adapter but believe the draw would probably be too open for me without it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I take each pipes as unique, and enjoy learning how each pipes likes to be smoked best. Some have a tighter draw, some are wide open. I have never modified a pipe because of the draw.
I personally do not think that a wide open draw is always best. I like there to be some resistance, like pulling on a straw of a soft drink, when the cup is empty, the draw is wide open. When the drink is milkshake the pull is too hard, and when the drink is full of soda, the draw feel perfect.
I know that some love them wide open draws on cobs, but to me, i want there to be a tad of resistance. I know, I know, many cob smokers have identified that wide open draw as a good thing, but not every pipe smoker feels that way.
Cowboy-draw GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
I agree on draw. Curious though ... why not nickel plate the cylinder as well ? After all the brass frame, steel barrel, hammer, trigger are done and barrel cut back from 7.5" to 5.5 " ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My cobs seem to have a range of openness, and the most open cobs aren't the most open airways of my pipes, so that analysis doesn't correspond to my experience.

There's a certain range of draw where I'm happy, anywhere from a bit of resistance to an openness that still delivers a concentrated flavor.

If the airway is so tight I am tugging to get smoke through it, I don't taste much anyway. If an airway is so open that I am getting more air than flavor, that won't do.

I'd guess stronger blends do well in more open draw pipes, and milder deliver better in tighter draws, but I haven't put that to a test. But it sounds right.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
The fact that so many people modify airways is one of the worst things to happen to my pipe buying. With all the other things that affect a pipe from the maker, I now have to worry about consumers screwing with them. They have every right. I'm not saying anything to the contrary. But it is something of modern times that I have to consider. I never ran into this problem until sometime in the 2000s.

I don't care for the modern perspective of wide open draws. For me, they're like smoking through a McDonald's straw. I get muted flavor. I like some resistance, and I like how a traditional diameter concentrates the flavor. I'm not talking about any struggling, but I know I'm pulling through a bowl of compacted leaf and then through a smaller airway than when normally breathing. I like and prefer that.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have opened the draw to excellent effect on several estate pipes. I think that was more a maintenance issue than anything else. I probably restored to original specs. The cigar shop I frequent sells only inexpensive 9mm pipes. They don’t sell filters. That’s got to be a wide open draw!

The fact that so many people modify airways is one of the worst things to happen to my pipe buying. With all the other things that affect a pipe from the maker, I now have to worry about consumers screwing with them. They have every right. I'm not saying anything to the contrary. But it is something of modern times that I have to consider. I never ran into this problem until sometime in the 2000s.

I don't care for the modern perspective of wide open draws. For me, they're like smoking through a McDonald's straw. I get muted flavor. I like some resistance, and I like how a traditional diameter concentrates the flavor. I'm not talking about any struggling, but I know I'm pulling through a bowl of compacted leaf and then through a smaller airway than when normally breathing. I like and prefer that.
Skip at the Briary said that Rick Newcombe was the worst influence on pipe smokers ever with his book Pipe Dreams. Not every pipe is designed for a wide open draw, and not every pipe smoker wants to have that airy, tasteless smoke that a wide open draw gives. Some may love it, and I assume most of these are newbies that aren't quite sure what they prefer yet... maybe not yet developing a preference. And, it has led to so many ruining really good pipes. And, you have to really be careful on the estate market, in case you get one of these modified pieces of crap.