The Downside of a Zippo, or Beginner's Mistake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I’ve no problem lighting my pipes with a Zippo pipe insert. It works wonderfully well. The flame is broad enough as to light the whole surface of the tobacco and the temperature of the flame is relatively low compared to butane lighters, such as the IM Corona ‘Old Boy’ (there is a practial study done on wood somewhere).

My Zippo has never let me down. The only downside I can think of is the fuel evaporation. I too use a plastic film over the insert and I apply a light coating of petroleum jelly to the insert. It helps reduce evaporation. I never noticed the fuel taste, honestly. I believe Zippo reformulated its fuel years ago to address this issue. I think the ‘fuel taste’ argument is based on the old formulation and people parroting each other.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Proper use of the Zippo lighter is often evasive for some. Proper adjustment of the wick is necessary for either chimney. I prefer the regular chimney over the pipe style. I've used both but, the regular chimney works equally well for cigarettes, cigars as well as pipes for me. There is a bit of a learning curve, how much to tip the pipe and the relative position of the light to the bowl top. Those easily frustrated probably should shy away from the ubiquitous Zippo as it appears straight forward but, there is a slight learning curve. There's nothing arcane with regard to its use just a bit of attention to the wick length, if out of doors, where the wind is coming from and the proper relationship of lighter to bowl. Millions of smokers own and use the Zippo. I'm guessing there are a few smokers who can't quite figure it out. Some people never grasp how to drive a car. Just one of life's inequities I suppose.

A careful attention to the directions included with a new Zippo also helps. This is especially true for inhibiting any fuel taste. Some pipe smokers never really understand the need to let the lighter burn a second or so before applying to whatever is to be smoked.
What Warren really means is that most of you guys are too stupid to use a Zippo that even a monkey could use it properly. How close am I Warren. lol

Mar 1, 2014
I have a zippo pipe lighter laying around that I have not used that much because, for me at least, I think there is a problematic downside to it. At the beginning of the bowl, there is no problems using it. But from mid to end of the bowl, especially if it is a larger and wider bowl-size, I find myself having to draw quite hard to get the flame down to light the tobacco, and this easily leads to tounge bite. I find it very counter-intuitive to having to draw a lot, and hard, to get the flame down to light the tobacco. So I'm curious how you can make it work. Is this simply a beginners mistake that can easily be overcome with some practice and refined skill? Or is this simply a serious downside of using a zippo? Anyone else who had this problem?
I can't use a lighter unless it shoots the flame into the tobacco, and jet torch lighters are best, if a bit risky, but are we here to smoke tobacco or are we just collecting trinkets?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, as the plastic around the bottom doesn't get to the problem, and I've not changed the cotton as it isn't dirty or impeding soaking in lighter fluid. In some rare cases, the cotton may need replacing.

Reactions: JOHN72

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Who here got their first Zippo when they were a kid, filled it up and then put it in your front pocket. Anyone remember the feeling of your leg being burned to shit? I still remember it after all these years.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Who here got their first Zippo when they were a kid, filled it up and then put it in your front pocket. Anyone remember the feeling of your leg being burned to shit? I still remember it after all these years.
One of the reasons i hate them, grabbed my dads one day, had that red inflamed welt on my leg for a couple days lol After that it was more about the taste, not that I didn't know how to use it or let it turn off when first lighting, just very sensitive to the lighter fluid.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr