PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost every time the civilization progressed there was a person who had the courage to go against conventional wisdom.

My favorite example is Copernicus who had the courage to go against the world and stated that it is indeed earth which goes around the sun

In the pipe world would be Sixten Ivarsson who made pipe making an art form.

Unless someone is acting at the devils advocate, we may not have considered all the possibilities. I encourage all my colleagues to challenge my opinions/decisions so as a team we produce the best output.

Finally the pipe smoking community is very diverse, and that would lead to a difference in opinion.

Having said that, some of the contrarian opinions are “Too Much contrarian”. In the real world, in these cases a good idea is to understand the motivation- Often that solves a lot of problems/comes to a consensus. In an Internet forum when nothing is at stake, there isn’t much reason to invest so much.

Finally the world view of a diverse group of people will be diverse. Everyone is correct from their point of view.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You left out humorous and entertaining. I'd hate to think how sadly boring this site would be without discussions, even the odd argument.
Very true.
A contrarian is a person whose opinions are typically (and often reflexively) in opposition to accepted wisdom. A person who dismisses an OP expressing difficulties in getting a charring light to stick isn't necessarily being contrarian. He's just being an asshole.
That is what I was trying to say. Thank you.
But as far as online communities go, this one has been one of the friendliest and most knowledgeable I've come across. There are the occasional trolls and contrarians to be sure, but the admins do a good job of keeping everything on track.
Yes it is and yes they do!

This is one of the finest sites and the people here are a great bunch.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Sure, when someone is looking for serious info, those who would reflexively opine to the contrary while offering zero serviceable information to the question-poser are rather like a hemorrhoid - However, you can always choose to simply not read their post, and hope that a more helpful Brother posts a reply.

On the other hand - And, since I am not running for any Public Office nor trying to win a popularity contest - I can say this will all sincerity: I've been knocking around since the days of the old dial-up BBS services, and I have to say, the members of our forum here on PipesMagazine.com are hands-down the best, funniest, most informed, sharing, joyful, bunch of brothers one could ever hope for - and as @warren basic said, this place would go Critically Lame if it became a Dry-as-Dirt Pipe Smokers Seminar.... and, without the rowdy kids in the back.

Now, those who are just being an azz for the sake of being That Way - as our dear Brother @telescopes pointed to such a classic example of the guy who responds with nothing more than: "I don't have that problem", these types either tend to weed themselves out, or, just migrate to the background over time.

So, look at it as a case of Mind Over Matter.... Where you don't mind, because that post doesn't matter.

I view this place as a family, Brothers-of-the-Briar; and, that means accepting and rolling with all the various personalities who are in the smoking tent with us... Without each and every Brother, we would simply be: "Less Than".

However, we cannot hold others to our own standard of what needs to be taken seriously and focused on, and, what can get silly and drift off topic.

It's the nature of the Interweb beast and the nature of the humans who inhabit it; and, at the risk of de-railing the specific subject... this thread makes me unable to think of anything other than 'The Argument Clinic' sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus:
montypython_argument.jpg
"There you go... You... You... You just did it again!!!"
"No, I didn't"
"Yes, you did!"
"I assure you Sir, I have not de-railed the thread... and, the forthcoming supporting Thumbs Up, will bear that out."
"No, they won't!"
"Yes, they will!"
"No, no, no!!!... And, what have Bears go to do with it!!!"

;) - Sherm Natman

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I've always said that the internet is no place for someone with a thin skin. People are always inclined to say things online that they would never say in person, so some slings and arrows are bound to fly in any online discussion.

That said, despite the sheer numbers of codgers here this is one of the kinder, gentler corners of the web. I've been a member of some fishing and motorcycle forums, for example, where you needed asbestos lined pants to keep your ass from being burned by the flames coming from forum members. That was simply the nature of the banter there, and newbies either adapted or left.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Now, those who are just being an azz for the sake of being That Way - as our dear Brother @telescopes pointed to such a classic example of the guy who responds with nothing more than: "I don't have that problem", these types either tend to weed themselves out, or, just migrate to the background over time.
Yeah, the Barely Relevant Often Bull Shit types…

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Speak for yourselves men. I believe I;m missing a filter. I never mince words. either with friends and family or, strangers. Do not ask for my opinion unless you are prepared to hear the unvarnished truth as I see it as politely as possible. I was raised that way and never found a reason to change. I will try to spare peoples' feelings, depending on the subject (usually something frivolous) but, if you ask me how your pipe looks, you'll get my opinion. Ask me about your brand, spanking new car. I'll respect your askign for my input and answer candidly. I wish more people reasted in the same manner. Too much dancing around simply makes for misunderstandings and/or fake friendships. I've no time for that and will never suffer fools willingly.

F

fMf Piper

Speak for yourselves men. I believe I;m missing a filter. I never mince words. either with friends and family or, strangers. Do not ask for my opinion unless you are prepared to hear the unvarnished truth as I see it as politely as possible. I was raised that way and never found a reason to change. I will try to spare peoples' feelings, depending on the subject (usually something frivolous) but, if you ask me how your pipe looks, you'll get my opinion. Ask me about your brand, spanking new car. I'll respect your askign for my input and answer candidly. I wish more people reasted in the same manner. Too much dancing around simply makes for misunderstandings and/or fake friendships. I've no time for that and will never suffer fools willingly.
I agree. I value each and every members unvarnished truths! I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly! Without stopping to consider if it's what I "want" to hear. I value your unbiased opinion @warren.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Exactly. People are much different online, on the phone, and in email than they are in person. The ultimate example of passive agressive.
And, thankfully we don't have to watch the manifest equivalent of their passive aggressiveness enacted physically in real life... as I most of it would look like this:
Boxing_Betas.jpeg

NOT a pretty picture; nor, a proud moment for either party involved. :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My question is this: How do you rate the level of discourse on pipesmagazine.com? Is it helpful, off-track, insipid, mind bending, or top notch. Why?
I'd rate the level of discourse as varied, which shouldn't be a surprise. I've read threads that were very informative, engaging, lively, funny, surprising, entertaining, and thoughtful and I've partly read threads that, for me, didn't have many, or even any, of those attributes. Fortunately the former far outweigh the latter.

Since this space is a crossroads for people from many different backgrounds, with widely varying experiences, it could hardly be other than that.

Most of the members here enjoy sharing their love of pipe smoking in all of its aspects. Many are helpful and generous. A few act like they would explode in flames if they offered anything positive or constructive. Pretty much status quo for a population.

As long as we stay away from politics, manliness threads, Dunhill threads, and McClelland threads, the skies are generally blue with calm seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.