PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Georged, Just that reading this thread about show brought back memories of my one and only experience going through.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I forgot to put a wise-ass smiley face on my comment. :lol:
Chicago is on pretty much everyone's Traffic Hell Stories list, is all.
About ten years ago they decided to keep ONE toll booth open on I-90 WB while closing ALL the others---8 or 10 of them---for tearing down & replacement. Couldn't give up that $2.00 per car, no sir. So what if the backup sometimes reached FIVE MILES? (The project lasted several months)
Etcetera.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What a great show! I enjoyed meeting Jeff and others here for the first time, and of course, seeing all of my long-time friends like the wife stealing Brian Levine, Dave Peterson, and countless others. Seeing Vernon and Greg win the Dr. of Pipe award was a real treat and I wish that Greg had been able to be there but understood his other commitments and sometimes that just happens.
As for jiminks, I gave the poor guy a tin of tobacco to review since he doesn't often get to try new tobaccos. :wink:
I avoided any driving hassles by hiring one of those limo services but did not avoid a numbed palate by smoking 24/7 for two straight days. :(

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I met Vernon for the first time (at any length) at last year's show, and came away thinking he was a total class act. The sort of person any enthusiast hobby could use more of.
I've known Greg a long time. That he's the best there is at what he does is difficult to argue with. A super-bright, scientific-minded guy born with the same olfactory/taste apparatus as history's legendary whiskey and perfume blenders. Also a 100% class act.
I can't think of two more deserving individuals to receive the Doctor of Pipes award. Truly.
Congratulations to them both. :clap:

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Oh god, I'd have to save up at least three thousand dollars before I can go to something like this. The pipes look amazing...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You asked for it:
Photo by thispipelife
nMYVvsf.jpg

Photo by briarworks
vgoXvLK.jpg

Photo by smokingpipes
J4Ubd0T.jpg

Photo by nitroviking
I6lXXbk.jpg

Photo by j.l.thompson_pipes
4UpIulA.jpg

Photo by Eric Michalsen
prl918N.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They added a bunch of videos from Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.pipehub.com/blog/post/pipehub-live-streaming-the-2017-chicago-pipe-show

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes, the late Mike Reschke's famous Parker Pipes display was up. His widow brought the display. She also had a table and was selling off Mike's heralded old Parker pipes at incredible bargain prices. I had two different collectors show me Parker's they purchased at the table. Both were 1930's models they bought for $40 apiece.
Pipestud

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I saw those two matched grained naturals with bamboo and I thought of deliverance. (I think you know who I was thinking about)

The pipes were in one of the pipehub.com vids that Al posted, and were made by Teddy Knudsen.

knudsen

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, the late Mike Reschke's famous Parker Pipes display was up. His widow brought the display. She also had a table and was selling off Mike's heralded old Parker pipes at incredible bargain prices. I had two different collectors show me Parker's they purchased at the table. Both were 1930's models they bought for $40 apiece.
A naive widow is trying to raise some much needed cash by selling off her husband's prized collection, and the vultures descend. Didn't anyone think of helping this woman price the collection appropriately, instead of taking her to the cleaners? Surely there must have been some good folks there who saw her predicament.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Woodsroad, Yes, people in the CPCC are advising her how to slowly change this collection into cash.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
This was the second year I have attended and it was a blast! And for those of you who don't know, I beat Manduela AND Rie to bring the Women's Division Slow Smoke Contest title back to the good ol' USofA!! One of the two of them has won it for about 8 years now so it was no small feat. Carrying the trophy home on the airplane was fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.