rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Could be what I saw I’ll have to look again. I’m not seeing the link I found before but that wasn’t it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I assume you were looking at this page. Canada's smartest cities 2010: overall rankings - Macleans.ca - https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/smart-cities-2010-overall-rankings/
That's not IQ, that's a grade out of 100 as compared to other Canadian cities.
Alberta has an average IQ of 109.
Haha what’s an estimated IQ? ?
I estimate mine at 300

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Anyways not trying to keep arguing let’s just say there are smart and dumb people everywhere. It’s easier to skew smarter when groups are smaller.
I didn't think we were arguing. I thought you were just pleasantly giving me the gears.

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My grandpa spoke 5 languages. He dropped out in grade 4.

I have a very good Franciscan friend, and I'm aware of the Catholic university system, where a all the orders attend, and it's a slightly elevated version of a Bible college.

I’ve taken some post-graduate courses at a Jesuit university, and I did not find this to be the case at all. There was very little religious component, and what religious component there was could be easily avoided. The overall quality of education was extremely high, and most of the professors there had very impressive credentials, to say the least. I’ve never seen so many Ivy League degrees in one place.

Interestingly enough, one of the most thoughtful and engaging professors I had there was a Jesuit priest. His course was a philosophy class, which of course included discussions about catholic scholars like Thomas Aquinas, but there was absolutely zero “because God / the Bible / Jesus / the Pope said so” element to the class.

I’m not even religious myself, but what’s true is true, and my experience at a Catholic Jesuit university was very good.

Reactions: rajangan

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I get what you’re saying... absence makes the heart grow fonder and so on.

However, on balance, I’m gonna lean towards The Benefit of Staying Well Stocked in Blends puffy

Reactions: hawky454 and BROBS

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I subscribe to the the life is too short philosophy, you never know what unforeseen circumstance might keep you from smoking your pipes ever again from one day to the next. I’ve seen too many people on here have to give up the pipe due to medical reasons. That being said, their is just too much pipe tobacco to open everything I like so I end up depriving myself of certain blends but mainly just the ones I know get much much better with age.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I get what you’re saying... absence makes the heart grow fonder and so on.

However, on balance, I’m gonna lean towards The Benefit of Staying Well Stocked in Blends puffy
Agreed.
I figure 5 years down the road when everything is aged that much more it’s just gravy on the potatoes.

Reactions: lawdawg
Jan 27, 2020
A lot of data in this thread I’m too lazy to read. Guess I’ll just rub out some University Flake and get my extension cord read.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
My grandpa spoke 5 languages. He dropped out in grade 4.

I have a very good Franciscan friend, and I'm aware of the Catholic university system, where a all the orders attend, and it's a slightly elevated version of a Bible college.
I'm not sure what your experiences have been with the Catholic university system in Canada, but in the US, this is completely false. Catholic educational institutions in the U.S. are numerous and diverse, but in general they are very much in the mainstream of higher education, and many U. S. Catholic institutions, such as the University of Notre Dame, are among the leading educational institutions, not just in the country but in the world. Many Catholic universities (but not all) have reputations which exceed the public institutions they compete with, and they have very little in common with the average bible college. I did not grow up Catholic, but I have worked a good portion of my career in Catholic situations, including at a university, and my father spent his 38 year career as an economics professor at a Catholic university (and he's an atheist!). You can identify many negatives about the state of Roman Catholicism in the world and the United States, but the education system is not one of them. Any indication that the Catholic education system, especially at the post secondary level, is somehow inferior or less-than is simply uninformed and erroneous.

Aaaaaand, as for the topic at hand, I haven't tried deliberately depriving myself of a blend, but I do occasionally take breaks from certain genres, usually after hitting them a little too hard for a bit, and whenever I come back to, say, Virginias after leaving them for a week or two they taste all the more sweet and bright. Palate fatigue is definitely a thing.

Reactions: timelord and Merton

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I was raised German Catholic and I noticed distinct similarities between that and the Jewish faith.
Food, family, and guilt.
German Catholic, the food is better. Jewish, the guilt is better.

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sure what your experiences have been with the Catholic university system in Canada, but in the US, this is completely false. Catholic educational institutions in the U.S. are numerous and diverse, but in general they are very much in the mainstream of higher education, and many U. S. Catholic institutions, such as the University of Notre Dame, are among the leading educational institutions, not just in the country but in the world. Many Catholic universities (but not all) have reputations which exceed the public institutions they compete with, and they have very little in common with the average bible college. I did not grow up Catholic, but I have worked a good portion of my career in Catholic situations, including at a university, and my father spent his 38 year career as an economics professor at a Catholic university (and he's an atheist!). You can identify many negatives about the state of Roman Catholicism in the world and the United States, but the education system is not one of them. Any indication that the Catholic education system, especially at the post secondary level, is somehow inferior or less-than is simply uninformed and erroneous.

Aaaaaand, as for the topic at hand, I haven't tried deliberately depriving myself of a blend, but I do occasionally take breaks from certain genres, usually after hitting them a little too hard for a bit, and whenever I come back to, say, Virginias after leaving them for a week or two they taste all the more sweet and bright. Palate fatigue is definitely a thing.
Are you referring to Catholic universities where people study secular subjects and get non-religious degrees, or are you referring to religious education and seminary? I wasn't commenting on secular education. It's incidental who owns or runs the university, or who teaches a subject. Better performance in that situation (say, in a mathematics program) doesn't derive from some catholic quality, but from individual-personal, economic, and administrative qualities that have nothing to do with what religion one adheres to.

We have Catholic public highschools, and their performance is as respected as the secular public system, which is understandable, seeing as they are teaching the same subjects, have similar budgets, and teachers.

I probably didn't make my position clear. I suppose what I'm saying is that in specifically faith-based education, with respect to religious subject matter, catholics don't have a superior understanding of theology. I'm not suggesting they are inferior to other sects, but that to say they have 'the best' religious education (what I thought was the original claim) is like comparing dissimilar fruit. Surely, they are the most educated in what it means to be catholic. Anglicans are better at Anglican education.

Mind you, whatever the fable that's being taught, it's still a fable.

Last edited:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It’s amazing you’ve been to all of them and completed a course to know!!

also that percentage of Catholics with a college degree is low because of immigrants from Latin America. What religion are 99% of immigrants from Latin America?

I’d be a lot more interested to see the data for those born in the US. You obviously have something against Catholics and that’s fine. Jesus has his eye on you, boy.

BROBS, here and in many other posts, you have gotten downright hilarious!

Status
Not open for further replies.