PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I can tell you this.....
When I fall in one of our spring fed ponds trying to pull out a calf, I believe I have made up new cuss words. Even in the end of August the water is numbingly cold.
I can't tell you how many of our friends and family have jumped in thinking it would be refreshing, but just out immediately threatening a law suit! :)
Even just putting my hand in for a few seconds numbs my hand.
These are great ponds to water cattle, but horrible for swimming.
But, I jump in every so often just for the thrill.
Ive almost had to rescue people due to the initial shock.
Then I have a few odd friends who LIKE it and swim around for a few minutes. :)

• Love
Reactions: gervais and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I can tell you this.....
When I fall in one of our spring fed ponds trying to pull out a calf, I believe I have made up new cuss words. Even in the end of August the water is numbingly cold.
I can't tell you how many of our friends and family have jumped in thinking it would be refreshing, but just out immediately threatening a law suit! :)
Even just putting my hand in for a few seconds numbs my hand.
These are great ponds to water cattle, but horrible for swimming.
But, I jump in every so often just for the thrill.
Ive almost had to rescue people due to the initial shock.
Then I have a few odd friends who LIKE it and swim around for a few minutes. :)
I'd love to have a property with spring-fed ponds. That's awesome.

Reactions: Sig

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
But it's about conquering that fear! It'll make you feel alive like you've never experienced. Only after you've done it, could one understand, lol. Everyone on God's green earth would PREFER the sauna for comfort, but this is about being uncomfortable, and adapting so that you're OK with the discomfort. I'm telling you, it's pretty unreal.

Where is that Alaskan boy at? @alaskanpiper You've fell out of your chair into the icy waters once or twice, eh?? Tell me it didn't make you feel ALIVE!! 🤣
Hahaha, it is an exercise in exhilaration to be sure :ROFLMAO:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Got curious so I did some reading on it and found an article about it at at Johns Hopkins that suggested the ice baths offer some mild therapeutic benefits within limits. So it’s not self suggestion and popular bullshit.
I’m a science/medical layman, so I wouldn’t know one way or the other. That being said, presumably there is some anti-inflammatory effect that would be beneficial, even if it’s only transitory.

Reactions: sablebrush52