PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I bought some ice block molds that I plan on using for my cold therapy. Going to fill my bath tub with straight cold water and add a few blocks of ice to try and achieve colder temps. My water from the tap is 50 degrees, and I'm hoping the ice can chill it down to at least 45. We'll see!

Reactions: JOHN72

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Oddly enough, if you end with cold in the shower, even for a few seconds, you will have a feeling afterword that you can "hold" your heat better and feel warmer in a cold room. So in the heat of summer it "makes sense", but sometimes I'll even do it in the winter for the aforementioned effect.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now that I've taken up whiskey again, I've found that I like it without ice. As for getting into a spittoon full of ice, I think I'll do it tomorrow, maybe the day after tomorrow, or better, for Christmas, which is when it's coldest. But what do you think, that I am a Norwegian salmon?
Not living in Spain! :)

What a fine match you played vs. Les Bleus! I hope you don't play so well this weekend.

• Haha

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Not living in Spain! :)

What a fine match you played vs. Les Bleus! I hope you don't play so well this weekend.
That's the way it is friend. It's not predictable to know, to until the first half of the game is analyzed. May the best one win. In addition, it seems that these new generations of youngsters avoid finishing the game with penalties. In the past, it was more boring and uncomfortable to finish the game with penalties. Now we see more energy and desire to play.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Many moons ago when I was younger, I used to sit in an ice water bath after running. It really did help prevent sore muscles.

On another note, while replacing my old water heater with a new tankless one, I found a ton a mineral build-up on the outside of the hot water outlet copper pipe. During the work I moved the line enough to expose 3 holes in the copper pipe. So tomorrow morning I'll be taking a cold shower.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Got curious so I did some reading on it and found an article about it at at Johns Hopkins that suggested the ice baths offer some mild therapeutic benefits within limits. So it’s not self suggestion and popular bullshit.
I’m gonna suggest that it becomes popular BS when its spread amongst the general public on the internet. I do not deny some benefit for some people. Sports medicine is real medicine but its practitioners are doctors. Research also states there are risks for extreme practices and a physician should clear folks. Rapid restriction of blood vessels, increased blood pressure and rapid heartbeat is not ideal for some.

Blood transfusions are real and have benefits but going to spas and getting infusions of “Young Blood” is just wacky as hell but people pay fortunes to do it

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m gonna suggest that it becomes popular BS when its spread amongst the general public on the internet. I do not deny some benefit for some people. Sports medicine is real medicine but its practitioners are doctors. Research also states there are risks for extreme practices and a physician should clear folks. Rapid restriction of blood vessels, increased blood pressure and rapid heartbeat is not ideal for some.

Blood transfusions are real and have benefits but going to spas and getting infusions of “Young Blood” is just wacky as hell but people pay fortunes to do it
You're absolutely correct, which is why I wrote "mild", and "within limits". The Johns Hopkins article covers where the practice may offer benefits and where it doesn't, and also discussing it with your doctor.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
You're absolutely correct, which is why I wrote "mild", and "within limits". The Johns Hopkins article covers where the practice may offer benefits and where it doesn't, and also discussing it with your doctor.
I would never consider having a cold shower or submerging yourself for a short duration in cold water to be life threatening! Just because something isn't comfortable, doesn't mean it's a terrible thing. I certainly wouldn't want to stay in waters near freezing temperatures for more than 5-10 minutes, but our bodies have many survival tools that kick in when it feels threatened. It activates our fight or flight response, which is a good thing! We are designed to survive.

Having said that, you have to do things like this with some sense. Don't just go and dive in a frozen Lake if you are new to cold exposure. You'll probably gasp for your breath the second you hit the water, inhale a lungful of water and drown! But when you carefully enter the cold feet first, you'll gasp for air and your brain is gonna get a threat response and think you're life is in danger and are going to die. But then you realize that this is just what cold feels like, it's not death. You will slowly become more comfortable after a minute or so.

If you're an old, unhealthy individual definately talk to your doctor. Although I doubt their textbooks have anything on the matter. There are just way too many positive feedback from cold therapy to deny that it doesn't have potential for more scientific research, which honestly, there is already plenty of already.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes, ice cold is hard on folks with health conditions and older folks. Being older I should know when its a problem but it is. There is a reason a lot of old dudes have heart attacks when shoveling snow...even if active. The cold is the culprit...or at least part of it.

A bit of a cold shower is different...at least in my non medical thiking. Ice baths...that can be complicated for some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would never consider having a cold shower or submerging yourself for a short duration in cold water to be life threatening! Just because something isn't comfortable, doesn't mean it's a terrible thing. I certainly wouldn't want to stay in waters near freezing temperatures for more than 5-10 minutes, but our bodies have many survival tools that kick in when it feels threatened. It activates our fight or flight response, which is a good thing! We are designed to survive.

Having said that, you have to do things like this with some sense. Don't just go and dive in a frozen Lake if you are new to cold exposure. You'll probably gasp for your breath the second you hit the water, inhale a lungful of water and drown! But when you carefully enter the cold feet first, you'll gasp for air and your brain is gonna get a threat response and think you're life is in danger and are going to die. But then you realize that this is just what cold feels like, it's not death. You will slowly become more comfortable after a minute or so.

If you're an old, unhealthy individual definately talk to your doctor. Although I doubt their textbooks have anything on the matter. There are just way too many positive feedback from cold therapy to deny that it doesn't have potential for more scientific research, which honestly, there is already plenty of already.
Yes, certainly, but there is also the question of optimizing of the practice, and temperature plays a role in that, which doesn't necessarily equate with colder is actually better.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Nope, I prefer the sauna.
But it's about conquering that fear! It'll make you feel alive like you've never experienced. Only after you've done it, could one understand, lol. Everyone on God's green earth would PREFER the sauna for comfort, but this is about being uncomfortable, and adapting so that you're OK with the discomfort. I'm telling you, it's pretty unreal.

Where is that Alaskan boy at? @alaskanpiper You've fell out of your chair into the icy waters once or twice, eh?? Tell me it didn't make you feel ALIVE!! 🤣

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yes, certainly, but there is also the question of optimizing of the practice, and temperature plays a role in that, which doesn't necessarily equate with colder is actually better.
There are many people who practice this daily at 33-34 degrees. Basically water that has natural ice floating in it, lol. I haven't done anything that cold YET, but I'm in the works of acquiring a chest freezer that I'll be converting to a cold plunge. I'm hoping to it in the low 40's and start there. It's definately something one might want to build up to before trying the temps on the verge of freezing

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are many people who practice this daily at 33-34 degrees. Basically water that has natural ice floating in it, lol. I haven't done anything that cold YET, but I'm in the works of acquiring a chest freezer that I'll be converting to a cold plunge. I'm hoping to it in the low 40's and start there. It's definately something one might want to build up to before trying the temps on the verge of freezing
Had my source wrong. It wasn't Johns Hopkins, it was the Mayo Clinic.

In any event, here's a link to their article if you care to read it.