PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
My wife and I are fitness and health junkies and we have recently started to try out cold showers to try and reap the many benefits that it supposedly provides. Stronger immune system, more energy, fat burning, faster muscle repair, healthier skin, stronger mind, to name a few.

I've done this a total of 3 times so far in the past week. I gotta tell ya, it sucks. I hate being cold and I LOVE being warm, and I'm guessing thats pretty normal for us warm blooded humans, so that must be where the mind strengthening comes into play. We are on a well, and our water is fucking ICE cold. I start by turning it cool, step into it for 15 seconds, then gradually start turning it colder until it's as far as it'll go. I'll stay in for 3 min, rotating around to get the full body effect. It's miserable for the first minute, then it gets gradually more tolerable, but your still in the suck zone. Afterwards though, I'm telling ya....you feel pretty good! You feel stronger in the sense that you didn't pussy out and just did it.

Have any of you guys tried it yet? I recommend at least trying it once!

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I’ve been getting back into shape and really focusing in on my nutrition the last six months or so. I heard about the cold showers, and I’ve tried it a few times. Can’t say I noticed more than an invigorating feeling right afterward that lasted about 10 min. Maybe if I could get consistent with it, I’d notice other benefits.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I’ve been getting back into shape and really focusing in on my nutrition the last six months or so. I heard about the cold showers, and I’ve tried it a few times. Can’t say I noticed more than an invigorating feeling right afterward that lasted about 10 min. Maybe if I could get consistent with it, I’d notice other benefits.
Glad to hear you're focusing on your health brother. It's more important that most people realize. I've unfortunately herniated a disc in my lumbar spine about 6 weeks ago. It's getting a little better but I'm still unable to run, unable to do alot of weighted excersises and my mornings are very painful from the associated sciatic nerve pain. Trying to keep a positive mind though and hopefully this will heal up eventually!

Reactions: MattRVA

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not related to work out, but when I was growing up in S. Korea, public bath was still in use. Most of the houses, even relatively new houses back then didn't have showers.

So, mostly do hand washing with bucket at home, and on the weekends it's the public bath.

You go in naked. There's shower to wash up. Then go in this humongous hot tub in the middle of the place. You soak up for awhile. Then sometimes, you jump in a ice cold water tub. Now, it can't be healthy. Heard stories of old people getting heart attack on occasions. Then there are people who will rub dead skin off of you for tips. You shower again and come out.

Now, if you are a kid, you can go to women's bath with your mom.

Reactions: JOHN72 and gervais
Aug 1, 2012
USA
Cold showers. Sounds like when I was a kid and the heat went out for a week or two. .. several times. I was healthy but not a lot of muscle building as I was a twig until college and free gym time. I don't mind being cold but it seems like a gimmick.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is endlessly fascinating to see the health fads come, go and return again. Diets do the same, even those found to be debilitating to one's health. Lasting youth, the Fountain of Youth, is sought by some in every generation.

Not denigrating anyone or their goals, I just find this stuff fascinating and not a little humorous. I've done the search more than one as I aged. Now, I trust to God and my genes. :sher:

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I tried………. Our cold water is freezing cold also. I pussied out in about 20 seconds! I just couldn’t stand it and I’m a pretty tough dude in reasonable shape. I prefer my hot tub! 😆
I hear you brother. It's extremely miserable feeling while you're in it, I agree 100%

Reactions: beefeater33

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
It is endlessly fascinating to see the health fads come, go and return again. Diets do the same, even those found to be debilitating to one's health. Lasting youth, the Fountain of Youth, is sought by some in every generation.

Not denigrating anyone or their goals, I just find this stuff fascinating and not a little humorous. I've done the search more than one as I aged. Now, I trust to God and my genes. :sher:
I agree with you Warren. In most cases genetics load the gun.