The 14 Types of People You See on Internet Forums

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

They left off the guys who thinks he is standing up for all things weak and indefensible. You know the guy who is like, don't make fun of poor people, rich people, women, vegans, meat eaters, Peterson pipes, or Sutliff tobaccos. These things will all get their feelings hurt and go out and start cutting themselves in a locked convenience store bathroom while listening to My Chemical Romance on iPods.

@cosmicfolklore We got one to two of them here or we did once! Granted I have not seen either of them about recently but its always nice to have a Forum 'Social Conscience' type person floating around. Now is the use of the word 'Person' the correct pronoun?
We still have one or two, but yeh, most of the time they get frustrated that they can't control us and move on. There is a difference between being mean, rude, or an outright hater, and being someone who just inadvertently says something that someone who is really sensitive might possible be offended by if they are really looking closely with magnifiers for things someone may get offended by. puffy

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
There are also people who have no sense of humor and cannot handle even the smallest amount of ball busting. I am not talking about mean ball busting but friendly humorous ball busting.

True. But there’s ball-busting and then there’s ignorant comments that are flat-out bigoted. I’ve noticed some “ball-busting” comments on this site with giggles and sniggers along with a fair number of likes. I commend the moderators for their efforts and yet it’s sad we have to have moderators at all. But there ya go...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My favorite and it's so true. Like a group of men stranded on an island and a woman washes up on shore.

14. The Woman

Finally there’s that rarity; the one woman who shares a common interest with the guys and posts about it.

She’s instantly treated slightly differently by blokes who probably think “I might be in with a shot if we ever have a forum night out”.

It’s a long shot, but it’s as close as some might get.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
How about the misanthrope, the contrarian, and the guy who perceives himself as the be all end all?
Hint: they are all on here.
But I don’t mind.
C'mon, name the name. We won't bust his balls too bad. If you are talking about me, that would be weird since I never have said I know everything as it relates to pipes and tobacco. I know what I like in my pipes and tobacco and I realize very few have my same tastes which is perfectly fine. I always let the experts guide me, guys like Jesse, John Guss, George Dibos, jiminks, SS Jones a moderator, there are many more.
There is not a finer collection of pipe and tobacco mavens than anywhere else on the entire planet.

You should all bow to their greatness. I let them kiss my ring so we are even.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
They left off the guys who thinks he is standing up for all things weak and indefensible. You know the guy who is like, don't make fun of poor people, rich people, women, vegans, meat eaters, Peterson pipes, or Sutliff tobaccos. These things will all get their feelings hurt and go out and start cutting themselves in a locked convenience store bathroom while listening to My Chemical Romance on iPods.
I particularly like it when a member takes personal offense at something that is tangentially related to them and treats it like you kicked their dog and slapped their baby.

As in: "You know the Irish...or the Germans...or the Scots...or the English...or the Canadians...or the Yanks..." and they react with something like: "Hey, I'll have you know that my Great-great-great-great Uncle immigrated from __________ and it's exactly that type of tyranny that he fled from, to a land of freedom, and now you are trying to re-oppress me!"

To honor the spirit of the post, I'll end with a quote from my wife's Irish grandfather: "The Irish would've ruled the world, if they hadn't invented whiskey!"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
C'mon, name the name. We won't bust his balls too bad. If you are talking about me, that would be weird since I never have said I know everything as it relates to pipes and tobacco. I know what I like in my pipes and tobacco and I realize very few have my same tastes which is perfectly fine. I always let the experts guide me, guys like Jesse, John Guss, George Dibos, jiminks, SS Jones a moderator, there are many more.
There is not a finer collection of pipe and tobacco mavens than anywhere else on the entire planet.

You should all bow to their greatness. I let them kiss my ring so we are even.
Hey, we know it wasn't a reference to you, as you don't know diddly squat. And you forgot to name me among the elite, you scum sucking leech! 'Cause I know everything, and not just about pipes and tobacco!
So, next time you bend your knuckles over the key board, have some manners, some perspective and you will soon be named among the elite, even though your "expertise" matches that of a ten year old.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hey, we know it wasn't a reference to you, as you don't know diddly squat. And you forgot to name me among the elite, you scum sucking leech! 'Cause I know everything, and not just about pipes and tobacco!
So, next time you bend your knuckles over the key board, have some manners, some perspective and you will soon be named among the elite, even though your "expertise" matches that of a ten year old.
Please forgive me Obi Wan. I have no excuse for not mentioning your greatness. Please don't send a Predator Drone to snuff my disrespectful self.