PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Misery O misery,

I was one of the fortunate enough to be "allowed" to smoke indoors, in my "study", behind closed doors.

It's over.

There a cake in the oven, damn' me. These things are like the radioactive spider from the comics. They give super powers, the wife smells EVERYTHING meters away !

I have my little vengeance, I fart more !!! She can't complain, it's natural ! kabaam.
But that doesn't solve my problem, I live in an apartment building, 1st floor, not too bad. Maybe I should go for walks more !

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Fit an extraction fan and seal the door. That is what I would do.
Oh, congratulations on your bun/cake :wink:

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Hold fast, today it is no smoking in the house, next it's doing more than your share of the chores around the house. Take a stand, use fans, filters and candles, but do not concede on this or you will live to regret it. It is your house too.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
A rabbit air cleaner is the best thing I've ever had! You should invest in one. It beats cutting a hole in the walls to create and exhaust and air inlet system.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
It's my first, yes but let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's still early.
@rolldog, already there. But I've always been quite orderly, SHE was the one to have to do her share, now, back to me.
@clickklick: I'd love to know more about that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good on you! Congratulations! Compared to the gift you will receive soon, the inconvenience is negligible.
Duh on me: I took it literally and thought it totally unreasonable that baking might take precedence over smoking! So, I agree with Warren.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Used panel van with roof vent: $400. Gets you a new study too. She'll be inviting you back in shortly.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My condolences on losing your indoor smoking privileges, but congratulations on the upcoming new addition! You are dead-on about the super-powered sense of smell... when my wife was pregnant she could smell (and become violently ill by) the off-gasses of restaurant's styrofoam to-go containers.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
My wife already dreads when I come back inside from having a pipe... I can't imagine how that'll multiply when she's pregnant. Sigh. Congrats to you though. :D

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
My wife is pregnant for the second time. No morning sickness last time or this time around. A lot of heart burn with the first pregnancy. None yet with this one. But the worst of it both times has been her sense of smell. I can't smell half the things that bother her. I can't imagine how awful it must be to have to smell amplified smoke!
Congrats. Being a father is the greatest thing that happened to me. Can't wait for our next little one to arrive this September/October.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Congrats on the coming rug rat, Carver!
I do think now would be a good time to cowboy up, though. Say something nice like, "Honey, you know that exercise is good for pregnant women. So, whenever I start to smoke in the house, take a hike."

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Look up the Rabbit Air MinusA2. It is the model I have and I love it. It cleans the air without the use of ozone and if I've smoked a pipe for 2 hours, I can put the thing on turbo, go to sleep, and in the morning you can't even tell.
It is a bit spendy, but my mom was so impressed that she bought one for her house, and she doesn't even smoke!

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
It is insidious. My wife complained so much about my pipe smoke, I gave in and started smoking outside. Now it is a full court press to make me stop altogether. She screams about the smell on my clothes, my breath, etc. That is what I get for marrying a younger woman. She is only sixty nine.

Mar 1, 2014
Nicotine will cause physical defects during development in the womb, that's probably what has her freaking out. When I was working off the farm last year one of my co-workers was pregnant and started getting upset at people smoking nearby. Their concern is real, but it should be more directed at women who are addicted to cigarettes, or maybe someone working in those smoke filled bars that don't exist anymore, not second hand smoke from a single pipe in the study on the other side of the house. Make sure not to wait in traffic either, or live anywhere near LA.

That said, I support smoking outside (and leaving California), breathing dirty air generally isn't good for you.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The nose thing when they are baking a cake is amazing. My wife, with our first, could tell you the apartment super was coming down the sidewalk becuase she could smell his cigarettes something a thousand yards away. (It was like Radar O'Reilly with the HELOS in M*A*S*H).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations on the future arrival. The other stuff, tobacco and all, will work itself out. Evolve and adapt. The walking may give you another twenty years of pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.