PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wait! I am already a collector, my first was 50 years ago, and my fourth having arrived today. So, you late comers, you wannabe's, back off! This is your final warning. Now that I have four, I can see the path to cornering the market.
Other than that, have a nice day!
:lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I just received a private communication from Jesse that to celebrate his having inspired so many with his passion, he will distribute his entire Barling collection card-dealer-style to the commenters on this thread.
Is he a great guy, or what? :lol:

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I was building out an extra pipe room to house my overflow of Barling's. Now, thanks to Jesse, the world of Barling collectors has greatly expanded, and I may just have to sell some of my duplicate pieces for the soon to be inflated prices.
Jesse will you please just tone it down.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Charming. Just charming.
"... with a stem that looked like Kermit's pecker."
Keeping it classy as ever, Canada. (And laughing my ass off.)
Good on ya', Harris. Enjoy this burner, and your next twenty, while Jesse regrets the Frankenstein monster "he" created.
Fnord

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I'm not sure I'll be joining the collector ranks because I can't imagine any pipe performing better than the one Barling I own.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
"Hey, wait a minute! It's' that blabbermouth in Florida that's creating the problem!
Barlings SUCK! You don't want to buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Now that that's the spirit Jesse!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The stem material on Charatan and Sasieni isn't of the same quality as Barling. Barling used a high grade para rubber.
I could tell the differnce in comparison to my Upshall and Willmer right away, theirs is softer. The feel of the Barling is most like the Dunhill's I have smoked. I never had a problem with those oxidizing too quickly. It is interesting that even back then Barling was ahead of the curve. Just one more reason too buy every Barling I see till I get to 100.
This is all Jesse's fault, no one elses. You may take your wrath out on him.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Wow! I wish I had found this site sooner. I didn't know what a barling was and must have thrown away a dozen when I started collecting Dr. Grabow!
:(

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"Wow! I wish I had found this site sooner. I didn't know what a barling was and must have thrown away a dozen when I started collecting Dr. Grabow!"
Yes and I really appreciated it, Randelli. I pulled them out of your trash and just sold two of them recently to some guy on e-bay. Both of them sold for the same price, go figure. He goes by cigr... something or other. Hey, gotta go, time to get the other 10 listed. I think he is still buying.
Seriously that is some beautiful grain in that Barling, Cigrmaster. Nice score.
Brush is a great example of some of the big hearted folks around here.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
" I could tell the differnce in comparison to my Upshall and Willmer right away, theirs is softer". If I had a real favorite Upshall or Charatan, I would now ask Catherine at Dunhill pipes Ltd London to replace the mouthpiece with a handcut (price of £45/$65), or really 'lash out' and try to approach some firm like Chonowitsch to make me one (cut out of disc?) and lose the logo in the process. Some people may think that would be sacrilege, however, on reflection, I think that striving for excellence can be a beautiful thing. Incidentally, it may well affect the price of the piece if I were to sell it on ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.