PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I still have an unopened tin of Edward G. I seem to think once I smoke it, I will suddenly acquire the deep and vast knowledge of jiminks on blends. Standby.
I think you’d enjoy it, since you seem to have a penchant for aromatics that still let the leaf shine. It is not overly topped, and has nice hints of brown sugar, plum, and red wine, over a nice melange of tobaccos.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I smoke Cosmic mixture almost all the time with the occasional dip into Three Friars for a change up. Would I like EGR and what should I be looking for in it?Subjective I know, but what the hell.

Reactions: BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I smoke Cosmic mixture almost all the time with the occasional dip into Three Friars for a change up. Would I like EGR and what should I be looking for in it?Subjective I know, but what the hell.
Perhaps my review will help you?

The smell from a freshly opened tub or tin is entrancing. The nutty, earthy, woody burley is a team player, and also has a touch of molasses as the lead component. The gold Virginia cavendish provides some grass, tart and tangy citrus and few drops of honey as a supporting player. The brown sugary unsweetened black cavendish is a condiment. The smoky, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian Latakia isn’t very detectable being only one percent of the blend, but it’s just enough to add nuance to the flavor. I also observe a little fruity plum as well as a red wine topping. There's also a couple pinches of cinnamon present. The strength level is a hair past the mild mark, while the taste is almost at the center of mild to medium. I’ve never experienced any bite, though I know a few people have. I puff it a little on the slow side for best effect, and I recommend that pace. Has no harshness or rough edges. Burns cool, clean and even at a reasonable rate, and has a slightly more than mild nic-kick to it. The taste is very consistent from top to bottom, and leaves just a little dampness in the bowl. Requires few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and room note. An all day mildly aromatic smoke.

This product has outlived Robinson (who supervised its creation) by many years, and has never been out of production. For those who remember him, it’s a trip down memory lane. For those who don’t know much about what a great actor Robinson was, it’s a chance to acquaint one’s self with a venerable blend and perhaps the man himself to some degree.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Perhaps my review will help you?

The smell from a freshly opened tub or tin is entrancing. The nutty, earthy, woody burley is a team player, and also has a touch of molasses as the lead component. The gold Virginia cavendish provides some grass, tart and tangy citrus and few drops of honey as a supporting player. The brown sugary unsweetened black cavendish is a condiment. The smoky, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian Latakia isn’t very detectable being only one percent of the blend, but it’s just enough to add nuance to the flavor. I also observe a little fruity plum as well as a red wine topping. There's also a couple pinches of cinnamon present. The strength level is a hair past the mild mark, while the taste is almost at the center of mild to medium. I’ve never experienced any bite, though I know a few people have. I puff it a little on the slow side for best effect, and I recommend that pace. Has no harshness or rough edges. Burns cool, clean and even at a reasonable rate, and has a slightly more than mild nic-kick to it. The taste is very consistent from top to bottom, and leaves just a little dampness in the bowl. Requires few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and room note. An all day mildly aromatic smoke.

This product has outlived Robinson (who supervised its creation) by many years, and has never been out of production. For those who remember him, it’s a trip down memory lane. For those who don’t know much about what a great actor Robinson was, it’s a chance to acquaint one’s self with a venerable blend and perhaps the man himself to some degree.
Your review of EGR certainly explains the kudos you receive on this forum. Clear, concise and stated without the flowery hyperbole so many wanna be wordsmiths seem to employ.(do you write wine reviews? You're needed!) I will get some EGR posthaste. Thanks very much.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Your review of EGR certainly explains the kudos you receive on this forum. Clear, concise and stated without the flowery hyperbole so many wanna be wordsmiths seem to employ.(do you write wine reviews? You're needed!) I will get some EGR posthaste. Thanks very much.
Thank you for the kind words. I have never written a wine review or a cigar one for that matter. I have never seen nor do I want to see a flavor chart. I'll trust my own taste buds and experience. I think that's the best way to do it.

I seldom drink, so I can't see me ever reviewing wine, although I like a little on special occasions with friends. If I was going to drink anything with alcohol, it'd be scotch or whiskey.

Status
Not open for further replies.