PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Don't mind him, there's only 1 state he likes. Eventually the lower 48 refugees will migrate up there though and he'll have to head for the pole.
There's more than 1 I like. There's just 1 that is significantly better than all the rest of them! :ROFLMAO:

We have preventative measures in place for the refugee influx, most notably, an economy that's been in the deep end of the shitter for half a decade and the most expensive health insurance in the world! Weeeeee!!!!!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There is always away to sell something. in California we still sell AR 15s even though we have the strongest anti "assault" rifle ban. How you ask? We change out the muzzle break and call it a compensator. We add a little fin to the pistol grip and say "what grip"? And we pin the butt of the stock so it doesn't slide. And you can get them anywhere. Or, you add a funky little part that makes it so you have to crack the stock a bit to drop the magazine and you don't have to do any of the above. I have them both ways and regardless, can drop a mag as fast as you can say, "mag". My point is, no matter how hard politicians try to circumvent our rights, creative people learn to read the loopholes and I suggest pipe tobacco manufacturers do the same.

telescopes

Being federally regulated, tobacco's more a privilege than a right.
In California, everything is regulated like a privilege. Air, food, and even sleep. My point is creative people gonna do what creative people gonna do. Snake skin boots are not allowed. I get them anyway. Butterfly knives are not allowed, I get them anyway... legally. Stop signs stop you at the stop sign. Nothing stops you when you go around it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Anchorage just implemented a 55% tax on any over the counter nicotine delivery system that isn't an officially designated "stop smoking aid" to save all the kiddos from their vapes.

Tobacco free nicotine pouches got tossed in the amendment as well so my Zyn just went from $5 a can to $7.50. I'm no arithmetician, but that works out to about $ .50 per pouch.

120% tax on actual tobacco products remains in effect as well. Thank God they still let us buy on the internet without getting taxed to bejesusville.........for now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing stops you when you go around it.
Nothing stops you when you're prepared for it either. Many of us have filed petitions and complaints to local and federal government regarding tobacco legislation and the deeming to no avail. Yeah, tobacco can be had after all is said and done but I prepared ahead of time and won't have to pay $100/ounce for it.

I love snakeskin boots too.

Jun 23, 2019
These laws are being written [with the intention] so that Big Tobacco can't target children with flavored products.

I doubt the politicians are even thinking about us pipe smokers [and aromatics when they refer to 'flavored tobacco products']

In the Great Tobacco Wars, we are the worms on the battlefield as Vapes, Cigarettes, and Cannabis battle it out above us.

EDIT: to clarify

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I would be shocked to see this bill get any traction in the current form and the current politically atmosphere. Bills get filed all the time. It was filed by a member of a house district in Houston. It is a big state. And both parties have bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

telescopes

Nothing stops you when you're prepared for it either. Many of us have filed petitions and complaints to local and federal government regarding tobacco legislation and the deeming to no avail. Yeah, tobacco can be had after all is said and done but I prepared ahead of time and won't have to pay $100/ounce for it.

I love snakeskin boots too.
Snakeskin boots are highly comfortable. I have one pair that is 30 years old and has a beautiful patina that has developed over the years. With a little care, they are not only practical, but outright cool. Especially western rattle snake. Yeh, I am storing up for the eventual tobaccolypse as well.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Christ, look at how many bills this clown has authored just in 2021:

HB170 - Relating to statements on the impact of legislation on childhood racial disparity.
HB2069 - Relating to the prevention of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
HB3077 - Relating to the regulation of applied behavior analysis paraprofessional technicians; requiring a registration.
HB3839 - Relating to home and community support services licensing requirements.
HB4144 - Relating to coverage for certain services relating to postpartum depression under the medical assistance and CHIP perinatal programs.
HB1402 - Relating to a criminal offense committed against a person because of bias or prejudice on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

I swear this guy will try to regulate breathing and sleeping if you let him.

"Oy, you got a loicense for them lungs?"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At some point these restrictions will be more the norm, and the vast majority won't care, because the real battle, that of making tobacco smoking highly unpopular, will have been won. Companies will happily double or triple the cost of your contribution to your medical coverage. Growers will decide that there are more profitable crops to grow. Your pets will come to hate you.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
At some point these restrictions will be more the norm, and the vast majority won't care, because the real battle, that of making tobacco smoking highly unpopular, will have been won. Companies will happily double or triple the cost of your contribution to your medical coverage. Growers will decide that there are more profitable crops to grow. Your pets will come to hate you.
My pet doesn’t hate me. He loves my wife, literally dotes on her, but he always eyes me as “the one who does things to me”.
I do the bathing, the pilling, the checking of his bobos, but he still hops in and sleeps with me about once a week and fully expects a “no leash romp” every night about 11 pm, and grants me a kiss each night.
Better than I’ll get from Texas politicians.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Unfortunately, there are always proposed tobacco laws (they come up often down here in Texas). In fact, I'm a member of a coalition down here that always does those online letters that we send to our state senators and state representatives regarding why we are opposed to them. This particular one has actually come up before in a somewhat different form and didn't even come close to passing. We always lobby against them, cross our fingers, and hope for the best.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In California, everything is regulated like a privilege. Air, food, and even sleep. My point is creative people gonna do what creative people gonna do. Snake skin boots are not allowed. I get them anyway. Butterfly knives are not allowed, I get them anyway... legally. Stop signs stop you at the stop sign. Nothing stops you when you go around it.
I don't think it's people being clever. I think it's more legislatures finding a way to have their cake and eat it too. We have a law here like some of those ones you can only buy so many ounces of beer per trip to the store, so you can buy some beer turn around at the door and buy the same amount. Looks like they've done something while doing nothing, it's one of their specialties. Another neat trick is when a problem starts correcting it's self you pass some laws that are supposed to correct the issue.... It's kind of like stealing the credit for work. Tough on crime is like that right when the crime rate starts dropping suddenly they crack down. It's helpful to know the tricks your advisories use.

Reactions: telescopes
Status
Not open for further replies.