PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
OK, I give up. What is HGL?
What I remember reading is that HGL stands for Herman G Lane. He was the President of Lane LTD and it was his own personal blend he smoked.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
"

What I remember reading is that HGL stands for Herman G Lane. He was the President of Lane LTD and it was his own personal blend he smoked
"
Thanks, I've seen it referenced several times had had no idea which tobacco was being discussed.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Then what the he'll is PG? Apparently, it is something awful that someone found in a tin of GLP.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
PG is Propylene Glycol, which I'm told is a supposedly harmless chemical that retains moisture. It keeps the tobacco from drying out too fast. It's also used in cigar humidors to maintain the proper humidity level without creating mold like plain water can.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it's what I've been told. I'll leave it up to the experts to correct this if it's wrong.

brashboy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Hi, my first post here. Getting back into pipes after a long hiatus.
Regarding the abbreviations, might want to consider NPD -- New Pipe Day!
brash

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At the risk of irritating those with better minds and memories I would suggest that, as an aid, the initials be used only after spelling out the full name. I think it would be beneficial to new members and more than a few old as some of the abbreviations are a bit arcane. As an example; Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (EMP) is really good at mid-day also. EMP is like beer, it's not just for breakfast.
Just a thought.

• Haha
Reactions: Scottmi and ARTOPUT

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Not for breakfast?? What part of Early Morning don't you understand?? Lol
I smoke it with my coffee every day. It gives me the pep and energy to start the day off right!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I concur, Warren. (ICW) I just smoked some My Mixture 965 (MM 965 is how I used to abbreviate it)- but now see it may conflict with Missouri Meerschaums. Oh, so much to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.