PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
It’s a great blend for the price. It’s very good right out of the bag, but I tend to smoke it more often when it has a few months to a year of age. In my opinion it has a fuller body and flavor than the modern Dunhill/Peterson Elizabethan.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Like said above, ages well. Gets pretty plummy. I don't get much of a lemon/citrus taste, more on the Red VA side of things.

Responds well to stoving, pressing, and blending (I prefer it as is). Burns great. No bite. No harshness. The casing is very light/unobtrusive, it's sugar-based, reminds me of simple syrup.

I have 10 or so pounds of it. It's one of the better VaPers available in bulk, and definitely among the best in terms of value. During previous sales it got close to $20/lb, that's a real no brainer.

Like every other seemingly lauded blend, try it and see for yourself. I'd figure this blend would be a cheap litmus test as to whether someone might like VA/Pers or not.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Bought a half-pound around 1 year ago and loved it. Then a few months later ordered another half-pound and its taste was quite different from the first half-pound to the extent I did not care for it. Have bought none since, sticking with Bayou Morning for my VaPer.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Bought a half-pound around 1 year ago and loved it. Then a few months later ordered another half-pound and its taste was quite different from the first half-pound to the extent I did not care for it. Have bought none since, sticking with Bayou Morning for my VaPer.

Interesting. I bought 4 oz a couple of years ago and smoked a few bowls and it did not gel with reviews I had read. What I received was a VaPer for sure, but with very low quality Virginia, even by Sutliff standards. Of course, I tend to like what Peterson does with Virginias and like their Elizabethan Mixture quite a lot. It's nowhere near as good as the Dunhill Dark Flake, and I hope to see that one released stateside under the Peterson banner eventually.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Thanks for all the replies. Vapers are probably the blend that I smoke the most of. I vaguely remember smoking a few tins of the STG version of Elizabethan several years ago. I don't remember a lot of the details other than I did seem to enjoy it well enough. Having seen some of the feedback here and given the low price, I decided to pick up some of the match version and see how it tastes. If I like it and given the reasonable price, I may use this blend to bolster the cellar reserves. Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Vapers are probably the blend that I smoke the most of. I vaguely remember smoking a few tins of the STG version of Elizabethan several years ago. I don't remember a lot of the details other than I did seem to enjoy it well enough. Having seen some of the feedback here and given the low price, I decided to pick up some of the match version and see how it tastes. If I like it and given the reasonable price, I may use this blend to bolster the cellar reserves. Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.
I cellared this one rather heavily, and have promoted it for ten years. If you want another really good value VaPer, I also suggest D&R SJ Rimboche.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I cellared this one rather heavily, and have promoted it for ten years. If you want another really good value VaPer, I also suggest D&R SJ Rimboche.
Odd then that I could find no reviews for Sutliff Match Victorian at tobaccoreviews. [Even tried an advanced search - nothing]
Have you posted a review here on the forum Jim?

Reactions: JimInks