Tell Me About Fribourg & Treyer. What's Worth Trying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Never tried a Fribourg & Treyer blend. How do their VA flakes stack up against better known brands like Dunhill or Capstan?

Reactions: jbfrady

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I enjoy and cellar the Vintage flake, Cut Blended Plug, Cut Virginia Plug.
All pleasantly sweet Virginia flakes of very good quality.

The Vanners Mixture was “ok” but I didn’t love it.
Blackjack is a red Virginia with very little discernible flavoring.
The Special London in the yellow tin is a bright shag that many would compare to ryo cigarette tobacco.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Personally, would rate any of F & T's virginias up there.

I still have a jones for Capstan but, that's just me.

Reactions: BROBS and logs
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
F&T CVP is my number one favorite Va Flake. Vintage and Special Brown Flake are right there as well although I find the SBF sure improves with a couple of years of age. Cut Blended Plug is also quite good if you're okay with a more obvious topping and like the particular flavor. Blackjack is an excellent Red Va ribbon cut. Golden Mixture is a light VA ribbon cut. I don't stock a lot of the latter because they aren't my favorites and the tins are twice the size due to ribbon cut, they take up a ton of space. But they're very good tasting blends.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
Their entire line is very good, I believe they are made by K&K. Vintage is my favorite of the bunch but Golden Mixture was the first blend I tried of theirs. It was what Bertrand Russell smokes, or so the story goes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Special Brown
Blackjack

I was underwhelmed by CVP, but it deserves another shot now that its been out of the tin a while.

You may still be underwhelmed. It is relatively mild. It takes an advanced palate like mine to discern the finesse flavors in this blend. LMAO Okay, that last part was bullshit but I couldn't help myself. It is a somewhat mild blend. You may like Vintage and Special Brown Flake better, they have a bit more Oomph to them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You may still be underwhelmed. It is relatively mild. It takes an advanced palate like mine to discern the finesse flavors in this blend. LMAO Okay, that last part was bullshit but I couldn't help myself. It is a somewhat mild blend. You may like Vintage and Special Brown Flake better, they have a bit more Oomph to them.
Could be, we’ll see. It’s been 6 months or so, time to give it another shot. I definitely do like the special brown, as well as blackjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.