PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Years ago, when I was just starting out with pipes, I polled you guys to find good drink pairings. At the time, I was expecting bourbons and the lot, as was my interest back then (hence the screen name). I recall a surprisingly large portion of the responses being in favor of pairing tobacco with tea.

As it turns out, I’ve gotten quite interested in tea in spite of my tobacco consumption dropping to the odd bowl every few months. That said, I’m interested to hear more about what teas you like, what tea/tobacco pairings you like, and where you buy your tea.

I brew almost exclusively gong fu, but can do anything. Very interested to hear what you guys have to say and hopefully learn a little more from this site.

Oh yeah, hello again!

**Some of you will recall I have a wildly addictive personality and an impulse buying problem. You’ll be happy to know it is alive and well, and was with me when I first got into tea a few years ago, too. I’m positive I have seven to eight lifetimes of tea, teapots, tobacco, and pipes.

Last edited:

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm coming from Cuban cigars, and I admit, I was surprised at first to see pipesmokers pairing with tea - lucky for me, because I'm a big tea drinker - traditional English tea - but do slip in some Pu'er and love Lapsang Souchong.
My usual match, especially in the winter, smoking exclusively outside - is a traditional black tea, but with a splash of Cuban rum. I had always heard about alcohol in coffee, but never tea. But I had read that the sweetness of the rum offset the tanins in the tea, (I drink black tea with milk). They were right! It's a really great combo - and goes great with a bowl of tobacco.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I'm coming from Cuban cigars, and I admit, I was surprised at first to see pipesmokers pairing with tea - lucky for me, because I'm a big tea drinker - traditional English tea - but do slip in some Pu'er and love Lapsang Souchong.
My usual match, especially in the winter, smoking exclusively outside - is a traditional black tea, but with a splash of Cuban rum. I had always heard about alcohol in coffee, but never tea. But I had read that the sweetness of the rum offset the tanins in the tea, (I drink black tea with milk). They were right! It's a really great combo - and goes great with a bowl of tobacco.

Very interesting. I’ve honestly never even considered that. I don’t really drink anymore, either, but I’ll reserve that recommendation for the next special occasion that would typically see one of my better puerhs.

I drink a lot of black teas and have a rotation

1. Darjeeling First Flush is the favorite
2. I would also drink Second Flush Darjeeling
3. Regular Darjeeling
4. Chinese Pu-err tea is very savory - Like a big serving of rice
5. I enjoy black Oolong teas

In terms of flavored tea

6. A nicely done Earl Grey
7. Occasionally Lapsang Souchong- It’s like the Latakia of tea
8. If I am in a hurry will drink any back tea bag. I keep a supply from Costco, which sometimes include Lipton
9. Strong mixed Indian tea which is often rich in Assam but not single varietal Assam

I drink a lot of other black teas and white teas

I did not like Ceylon Vintage Silver Tips - It is very similar to a Darjeeling First Flush but to me always falls short when compared to a Darjeeling. Having said that if I don’t compare it is an excellent white tea on its own

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I do love a great cup of tea brewed from whole leaf. Typically I brew a stranger hybrid of gongfu mixed with traditional western style. In short I brew a typical western cup of tea; however, I use gongfu portions.

Now a list of teas that I really like:
  1. Black and Gold/Yunnan (goes by many names) but basically chinese black tea that also has many young golden tea leaf buds
  2. Golden Needle
  3. White Peony
  4. Silver Needle
  5. Dragon Well
  6. Kyushu Sencha
  7. Cascadia Breakfast (This is from a shop in Oregon and is a black tea that in part has whole bean coffee. It is very tasty and has a strong caffeine kick)
  8. Bagged teas when I am lazy (Lipton, Twinnings English and Irish Breakfast tea)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love tea -- black or green, and mostly with no extra flavoring, iced or hot. But alas, I've given it up because of kidney stones. That's one of the few foods or beverages they recommend against, and you don't want to mess with kidney stones.. No sir. So have one for me. Just not if you have stones or have that in your family.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Tea and Tobacco. Two seemingly harmless “T’s”. I’ve always feared “T’s” — My Dad often warned of the perils of the three “T’s”

He said, “Son, if it’s got Tits or Tires, you’ve got Troubles.”

My favorite Tea is Lapsang sweetened with milk. Or Russian Caravan.

I enjoy Granger paired with Builders Tea. — Black Tea, Milk and Sugar. Or honey.