Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I just asked a customer service rep at smokingpipes about their tax policy. They currently charge sales tax to customers in all states except California, which will also be taxed beginning April 1st. He said that they do not charge tobacco taxes in addition to state taxes. Now I'm wondering if they report our purchases to the states so they can get tobacco taxes from us later.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just received a warning letter from my state to stop buying untaxed tobacco from out of state.
Your gubment at work. These Animals. They’ll take everything you have if they can.
Amazing. Could you please post an image of said letter?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep, Last order from SmokingPipes had taxes applied. Oh well, when you can’t fight’em,join’em. Im all in with the herd, all pay checks should go directly to the government.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My last order of tobacco was on 11/12/2018 and it was from SP. I was not charged any taxes. I have no plans to ever buy anymore tobacco from any of the large online retailers. The only tobacco I can see myself buying is from Pipestud for something aged.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’m out of town. So can’t post a copy of the letter. But they (Michigan) called it a warning letter and advised me to stop any current and future purchases of untaxed/unstamped tobacco. And that they were aware of my recent purchase at Iwan Ries and warned me of possible fines of up to 500% of taxes owed.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
I have no problems with state sales tax in state or on ordering. Its the tobacco tax which I was referring to. Not complaining, just wondering what you guys just thought about it ( I know all bad but hey its always nice to see what other people thought in less taxes places).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, red glow. Still nonplussed. And hope you'll post that letter when you can.
Is the Iwan Ries matter separate? One posted on before, or different?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have no problem paying the taxes. Evading the tax isn’t my goal. Buying tobacco that I can’t get here is my quest. I just won’t buy from websites that don’t handle the tax issue automatically. Iwan Reis, who I love buying from, needs to take care of collecting/sending the tax money to the proper authority if they want me to order online from them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am thankful I never have to buy another tin of tobacco as long as I am breathing.
Same here, though I just made a purchase from Watch City as I really like a couple of their blends and the tax laws change in California April 1st. Not that it much matters. I always paid taxes on internet sales as I knew they would inevitably be required, and that I didn't want to risk any problems with retroactive taxes, something that could still happen, but likely won't. Besides, the Stae deducted the amount I paid against my California state taxes, so it simply zeroed out.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sin taxes? I don't give them a thought. They come with the vice/sin and always increase. It's just part and parcel of tobacco. Getting angsty isn't gonna make my smoking experience any better. If I felt strongly about it ... I'd quit the tobacco.
Tax collection? It'd be easier on we, the customers, if the vendor collected the tax. However, I suspect it's cheaper for us to pay what we owe to the state and not expect IRC or other vendors to do the collection. I expect if the customers demand such, the cost of collecting, then disbursing the tax will be added to the retail price or, there will be an extra charge on our receipt. It is, after all, a matter between the citizen and the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.