PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
How do you guys deal with all the state and local tobacco taxes? Im in DC and last Oct or so, DC instilled the same tobacco tax on pipe tobacco and other OTP as cigarettes (96% on wholesale). that more than doubles what prices used to be. IE dunhill tins used to go for like 11-13 and now they're over 27 G1

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
That same tin of Dunhill retails at 56.00$ in Vancouver, BC. Count your blessings.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd find a friend or relative as close as possible that lived in a tax friendly state. I'd make a few huge buys, rent a cargo van and go for a weekend visit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We could always jump on Andy's T.A.R.D.I.S. and go back to a time before this insanity and stock our cellars with unicorns before they were unicorns!

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Guess I'm luckier than thought LOL. I have 2 bordering states all within 10 min of each other where they are cheaper but I like to support my local.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The District of Columbia isn't that big geographically though I remember the traffic as being the worst in the country the few times I've been forced to go there.

In other words, check out the prices and taxes in neighboring states and hopefully a pipe shop that stocks what you want.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
No need to support the government while supporting your local. Buy from the places that do not have crazy taxes and donate some of the savings when you swing by your local B&M. I'm sure the shop owner will be thrilled with your charity but otherwise your supporting the hand that bites you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Sin" taxes are popular because those darn people who smoke and drink should just pay up. Irony there. Being a moderate smoker, and having a considerable stash for my purposes, I don't have much anxiety about the tobacco taxes per se. However, fair warning, for those of you who have reached the age of required withdrawals from your retirement accounts, get your paperwork together and hold onto your hats. Keep track of that in advance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I buy all my tobacco online. There are plenty of places where you can buy without dealing with that tax.

Here are a few that are very good.

smokingpipes.com

4noggins.com

tobaccopipes.com

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I buy all my tobacco online. There are plenty of places where you can buy without dealing with that tax.

Here are a few that are very good.

smokingpipes.com

4noggins.com

tobaccopipes.com
Not for much longer. Internet sales have been ruled taxable by SCOTUS and sites such as these will have to collect them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, yes SCOTUS is going after sales tax but so far not the 85% Florida tobacco tax. I see a future where that will also be tacked on. Florida sales tax is 6% and then some counties wack you another 1% like here in Sarasota. I am thankful I never have to buy another tin of tobacco as long as I am breathing.

Oct 7, 2016
The question of sales taxes internet sales that cross state lines has indeed been settled by the Supreme Court, but in my state the legislature passed a law designed along the lines of the South Dakota statute that was upheld by SCOTUS that only requires out of state retailers to collect our states sales tax if their annual sales to our residents exceed $500,000. There is also now a conflict in how that statute allocates revenues that come in between cities and counties and our previously existing general sales tax statute, a problem that apparently our Revenue Commissioner has said will require the legislature to fix.
Until the $500,000 threshold is lowered, most of the internet vendors I buy from won't have to collect sales tax for sales made to my state. I do expect that the threshold will be lowered, but it might well take a year or so, and even then some on line vendors might still not do enough business here to be required to collect the tax. Unless and until Congress acts to create uniform rules, I expect the answer to whether or not you will have to pay sales tax on your on line purchases to be "it depends." I just ordered from Smoking Pipes, no taxes were added.

Status
Not open for further replies.