PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
A number of online tobacco stores charge state sales tax. I don't have a problem with that, but if they want to impose a 96% "sin" tax that's a different story.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I do have a problem with my state charging me tax on purchases made out of state. Just another way to have their grubby hands in my pocket. I just made 2 orders this week and neither charged sales tax, neither were from smokingpipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you feel that strongly about such taxes, form a PAC and campaign against the election of those that support such. Oh, and vote against themselves yourselves. Otherwise, consider you've earned the taxes, suck it up and pay 'em without complainant. It's not as though your elected reps aren't tuned into the voters and where the money comes from.
But, be advised, the majority of voters are non-smokers, have no dog in the tobacco fight and, thoroughly enjoy having we smokers footing more than they pay for their favored positions and "stuff." It you are going to smoke you have to consider a lot of the taxes are directed at anti-tobacco campaigns, by law in many places. So, in effect we are paying to snuff out tobacco use. Ah, the irony! We fund a lot of the attacks with our purchases.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just made 2 orders this week and neither charged sales tax, neither were from smokingpipes.
It will likely reflect on your state income taxes next year. I got slammed last year for the same thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
jzbdano: You should learn to live quietly with the extra tax burden then. And, you must accept that pretty much anything and everything is political. So, you're a politician like it or not. We all are. Maybe not professional pols but, we all engage in politics. Politics is what drives humanity, by definition.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Don't let me stifle you! I'm not a fan of excessive taxes myself. But, everybody pays 'em and everybody is aware of them. No sense bringing up the subject unless you've got a solution.
Lot's of members "bitch" about the prices we pay. Why? I've no idea as we all selected to smoke. We did so knowing society will shun us and prices will continually go up. I don't vote for the "I love to tax" candidates but, I'm in the minority in my part of the world. So, all we can do is suck it up or go out and get involved. So-called "sin taxes" aren't going away though. So, it's not a fight I choose to enter into. It's a waste of my moneys and my efforts. Better battles to fight I think.
Don't be quiet on my account. You just happened to be in my line of fire when I was unusually testy.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I can't afford to have a dog in this fight either so it seemed like good advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An aside on a tax question, a story in the NYT today, about U.S. state income taxes and how they determine whether people with homes in various states can claim residence in the lowest or no-tax state to their advantage. They call it "the teddy bear" effect, because courts attempt to determine where the person keeps their prized possessions (for which the teddy bear is a symbol). They used the teddy bear in the headline, but you have to comb through the story to get the connection. But I thought it was an interesting conundrum on a tax question. Where do you keep most of your pipes, for example. No multiple residences here, so no question, no problem.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Just received a warning letter from my state to stop buying untaxed tobacco from out of state.
Your gubment at work. These Animals. They’ll take everything you have if they can.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Just like nearly every story we learned in American History class back in High School, taxes on commodity goods and how it affects the citizenry is always a fine balancing act. Seems to me if the government pushes the people hard enough concerning THE BIG 3 (e.g. Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms), history foretells a resultant push-back by the people will be inevitable. - Sherm Natman

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Reasonable taxation is the cost of freedom. Now, who determines reasonable is the problem. It's a mean, nasty world out there and a strong military has to be paid for. I have no problem paying my fair share. What I feel is fair seems to differ as to what the various governments I pay seem to feel is a fair share.

Status
Not open for further replies.