Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Props to @lawdawg and @briarbuck for pointing this out. Let the cellaring games begin.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
...and nobody says a word at obesity rates. How about taxing fast food? Most of the stuff I like is bad for me. lol

wtf-disbelief.gif

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
...and nobody says a word at obesity rates. How about taxing fast food? Most of the stuff I like is bad for me. lol

wtf-disbelief.gif
oh that was tried a number of times and people really lost their shit over it and insisted that drinking insane quantities of soda for instance is an unalienable right (to such a degree it gives an image of people being o.k. sitting a bunker hiding from kill squads as long as their soda supply lasts)
Props to @lawdawg and @briarbuck for pointing this out. Let the cellaring games begin.

oh are there any other sources. My policy is not to trust news stories from websites from the "institute for..." unless I know who they are and what they're about and all this other stuff. Not assuming it's crap but it certainly don't make me feel certain. And that's from experience too. Enough of the time to make me wary groups like this. Some are legit and real and some are as real as a three dollar bill.

Reactions: Verdant

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It just occurs to me, that there are many thousands of Southern good old boys who were taught to raise tobacco when they were kids. There’s not going to be any tax on the seeds, the fertilizer, or any of the implements used to raise tobacco.

Most tobacco grown today is contracted, for a few dollars a pound. There are still a few auctions where common burley sells for about two dollars a pound.

The cheapest grades of smoking tobacco retail today for about ten dollars a pound, which includes a $2.83 a pound tax.

Slap a $49 a pound tax on all manufactured tobacco products, and there will be mountain boys who run illegal tobacco, sure as fate.

They can raise about a ton an acre, and sell that ton for $50,000 at $25 a pound.

There will be pipe tobacco bootleging.

BALLAD OF THUNDER ROAD

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
How about taxing fast food?
Never happen. Far too politically risky for career (pretty much all) politicians.

Tobacco is already a long established villain, impacts a vast minority of voters, and offers virtually no political risk.

Gotta remember, what actually does more damage to the health of Americans has nothing to do with it. What offers the best chances of resulting in re-election is always concern number 1. That's what is determined first and the supporting story is written from there.

And why wouldn't it be? If I had a job that paid $170,000 a year with free lifetime healthcare, notable retirement benefits for a fraction of the career length of your average American, travel, housing, office, aides, etc. all paid for, no need for concern regarding billability, efficiency, or company taxes, constant attention, the freedom to blatantly lie with no consequence, and no accountability whatsoever, I wouldn't want to lose it either.

Not to mention you can freely display the audacity to refer to such a position as "service" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We are getting served all right....hahaha.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Fast food here is taxed 9% where all other sales tax is 6%.
I'm assuming that's a state law. Much easier to attain.

And yes, though I'm sure taxes such as this exist in some places, I meant at the federal level, and at the rates we see for tobacco (which I should have clarified).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Here are some fun facts, this isn't total lobbying, but all money directly to Congress:

Food and Beverage (Highest donors include McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.):

And Tobacco (Highest donors include companies mostly selling cigarettes):

Which one would you rather piss off?

Reactions: romaso
Status
Not open for further replies.