Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
i started smoking early this year . Having a blast in smoking , i've always loved pipes .

i started smoking as most of beginners do with a captain black tobacco.

as i had the chance to try something better and getting into real tobacco , i had a tin of davidoff royalty .

by time i had a another tin of the most recommended tobacco the night cap .

ive been smoking these through the year .preffering the davidoff more ,as it tends to get sweeter and a lighter smoke .

however , lately i had a tin of dunhill royal yacht .

disappointed i am . my pipe taste nothing but , LATAKIA !!

i really dont know what to do . as i have one pipe for now .

id really appreciate some help .
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The only advice I can give you is DO NOT soak your pipe in bleach. You people are luck in the extreme that I'm here to distribute my valuable advice.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Nate gives good advise. With only one pipe. Over use and latakia are going to be a problem. Davidoff Royalty is a fine blend. but it cannot shine through Nightcap.I suggest you get yourself another pipe or two. Corn cobs are a very inexpensive pipe and much loved here. Smoking the pipe should cure it but, again, with one pipe, you risk over smoking and "souring the pipe.
Mike S.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You'll need more than one pipe, the latakia flavor will be in everything you smoke.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/free-pipe-project
Contact Shantiques and he'll send you some free pipes and tobacco. Maybe one of our kind members here will offer to send you a pipe, or buy some corncob pipes. I remember some girl on here posting about how her pipes got broken and millions of white knights came running in and sent her pipes and then she disappeared. 10/10 for her. In my mind she out did Kyle Black. Welcome to the forum and pipe smoking.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah it was clayarcheologist or something along those lines, I find it amusing as she/he never asked for any pipes, just millions of white knights tripping over each other offering to send him/her them. Then after the big fiasco where a bunch of people left and joined another pipe forum he/she came back for one post to ask where all these people went.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Worst case scenario you will need 1 more pipe. If you can not afford one; there is a free pipe project on this forum. I would hit up ebay. Search estate pipes. You will be amazed at what you will find. Also from my understanding you can use meerschaums to smoke different tobaccos without ghosting. I have never tried this but it is also worth a shot.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I agree with the previous posts. You're going to need a couple pipes and dedicate a pipe per type of tobacco.
Also in addition to the free pipe project you could also pick up 2 or 3 Missouri Meerschaum Cobs.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
+1 on the Missouri Meerschaum cobs. A great, inexpensive way to be able to rotate your pipes and use a different pipe for different types of tobacco, as you're learning the different tastes of each kind. One for Latakia blends, one or two for aromatic blends, another for Virginia blends, etc. They only cost $4 or $5 a piece, or you can get a grab bag of cobs with minor defects that have ten or so for about $30. Welcome to the forums

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I try not to smoke a Latakia blend in a pipe I want to smoke Virginias in or one I want to try out a new tobacco with. Or any other blend for that matter. Id say keep that pipe for Latakia or Balkan blends, and get a new cob for starters and don't put in any tobacco known to ghost a pipe. example: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake, Condor, or blends with Tonquin maybe.
With an estate pipe I purchase I start by doing a GOOD alcohol cleaning, removing almost if no all the cake buildup, then a retort cleaning, then a salt treatment. Sometimes there may be a slight ghost after that but should be eliminated quite quickly with a few bowls of fresh tobacco.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I've been able to get enough of the latakia ghost out of a pipe with a salt treatment that after two or three more smokes I couldn't detect it anymore, but latakia is the Jack Russel Terrier of the tobaccos. It's strong and tenacious and people tend to love it or hate it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I believe, while ghosting occurs, there's a strong psychological component here. I'd like very much to take ten cobs, smoke Lat in one, then see if I could blindly determine which was the lat pipe. I had a similar problem and so I set the ghosted pipe aside and forgot about it. Months later I grabbed the pipe and smoked Virginia out of it. 20min later I remembered this was the pipe, but the moment I remembered, I could suddenly sense the Latakia. Just a thought. I'm not implying your pipes not tainted.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Why the hell would you even want to remove Latakia taste? :)Did i already mention that i'm a huge Latakia fan? No? Well, i kinda am.... Just smoke huge amounts of latakia blends in it, like i do, and there will be no problem. :) Oh, yes, you might wanna get another pipe for VA, VaPers and such...

Now, to get serious... There are a couple of ways which you can try to use, but depends on just how much Latakia ghost got into your pipe... This of course you can use only on briar pipes, but since you have a ghost in your pipe, i suppose it's not meer (doesn't ghost at all). Anyway, fill your pipe with kosher salt, then pour some strong alcohol (some prefer rum, some whisky, i personally prefer 91% isopropyl alco). Let it stand for couple of hours, then rinse and repeat until salt and alco come out clean. Let your pipe dry for a couple of days and that should remove ghosting that is not deep in your pipe.

Another way in cotton ball-vinegar way. Fill bowl with cotton bowls then pour alcohol vinegar in it. do the same as you did with salt-alco.

If nothing of the aforementioned help, there is also ozone treatment, but i would highly recommend leaving that pipe for latakia and to get another pipe. I f you change tobacco blend frequently, and can't afford huge collection for rotation, buy a decent meer from Tekin, Altinok, Baki, WGM (previously IMP) or some other respectable carver-seller.

Cheers, mate and enjoy your pipe smoking!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm with Nat. I've smoked virginia blends in one of my lat pipes a few times and couldn't tell the difference.
Lakeland on the other hand forget about it. It's like smoking soap no matter what tobacco you put in it.

omar

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Posaydal thanks for the advice . That should do the trick .But as you said : why the hell would you like to remove Latakia taste :D

And thanks for everyone shared with help in the forum .

Its been great help for me learning more .

Status
Not open for further replies.