PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Hello.
I am new to pipe smoking and have smoked my pipe about 3 times so far, and all 3 times the most dominant taste is just ash.
I was wondering if I am doing something wrong? Packing too loosely or too tight?

I read that some people say that one needs to break in the pipe and the taste will get better, whilst other say that drying out the tobacco is key.

For clarification: My pipe is a briar and the tobacco I am smoking is an aromatic called Amphora nr.8.

But I was wondering what experience you guys have with this?

Thanks.
don't give up. It happens to everybody at the beginning
and
disconnect from the world to smoke. don't let anything distract you

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
To make sure you’re not packing too tight, try a pipe full of medium cut tobacco that was just sprinkled in. Then tamp it down just until you feel the slightest resistance. Then repeat once more. Use this as a guide to how much tobacco and how tight of a pack you like. When I first started I thought I needed to cram as much in as would fit. This had my smokes only burning down the center and not producing much flavor. Oh, and I switched to English blends.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
To make sure you’re not packing too tight, try a pipe full of medium cut tobacco that was just sprinkled in. Then tamp it down just until you feel the slightest resistance. Then repeat once more. Use this as a guide to how much tobacco and how tight of a pack you like. When I first started I thought I needed to cram as much in as would fit. This had my smokes only burning down the center and not producing much flavor. Oh, and I switched to English blends.

i just take draws on the pipe intermittently as I pack the pipe. If the resistance is not to my liking, I alter how tightly I am packing.

minimaltom

Lurker
Jan 15, 2020
Oh, another thing: when lighting, don't torch the tobacco by putting it in contact with the flame. Hold the flame about half or 1/4 of a inch above the leaf, letting the superheated air ignite the tobacco. If you torch the tobacco you'll definitely be tasting ash.
sorry but I disagree with this, the only thing that helped me get a good smoke that didnt taste like shit was making sure I lit the tobacco enough by getting a big red cherry across the whole of the top of the tobacco and to achieve this you cant be afraid with the lighter.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Lykkeberg

Lurker
Nov 25, 2019
Denmark
Since I wrote this post, I went out and bought an english blend which I seem to be liking a lot more than aromatics at the moment. Also shortly after writing this post, I must've "broken in" the pipe, cause the taste of ash disappeared and could suddenly taste the sweet notes of the tobacco.

Now I don't know if this is because of me switching tobacco or what, but nonetheless I am enjoying it quite nicely.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Since I wrote this post, I went out and bought an english blend which I seem to be liking a lot more than aromatics at the moment. Also shortly after writing this post, I must've "broken in" the pipe, cause the taste of ash disappeared and could suddenly taste the sweet notes of the tobacco.

Now I don't know if this is because of me switching tobacco or what, but nonetheless I am enjoying it quite nicely.
Like I always say pipes almost seem to run on magic. So many times it just seems like magically the bowl stops biting ones tongue or stays lit or can be packed proper while arguing with a friend. And I have no idea why some blends grab my fancy and why others do not.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

English blends are a robust flavour so that would help. Your pipe has broken in. And you're probably getting better at packing and technique.

In time you'll find that it all becomes 2nd nature.
All of us have issues at first re; packing. Now I pack a bowl, regardless of cut, without much thought.

Glad you're starting to enjoy the briar.
After 35 years of smoking cigs, I'm so glad that I switched to a pipe around 10 years ago.

Just a note on lighting up. When I get a good initial burn going, often it's too hot. So I put the pipe aside for 5 minutes. Then tamp and you'll find that a soft flame will get the bowl started easily for a cooler, and therefore tastier, smoke.

Mar 1, 2014
It's no different from starting out on Whiskey. At first you taste nothing but alcohol, after a while you become accustomed to the dominant flavor and can look past it.
Or heavily spiced food is another example, you need to be consistent with it for a few weeks.

Mar 1, 2014
sorry but I disagree with this, the only thing that helped me get a good smoke that didnt taste like shit was making sure I lit the tobacco enough by getting a big red cherry across the whole of the top of the tobacco and to achieve this you cant be afraid with the lighter.

I prefer Jet Torch lighters, people just need to be aware it can easily damage the Briar. It's not like scorched rims are a new thing either, as long as the pipe isn't worth more than $50 it shouldn't be a big concern.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Another thing that will lead even a great tobacco to taste ash-like is if it is smoldering and not hot enough to very lightly combust the tobacco. I don't mean a roaring hot coal, but just enough to keep the weed going. Need to have a decent amount of smoke going to get a decent taste. Again, not a house on fire, but just enough to sip lightly and still keep the pipe lit. Sipping will also save your tongue from frying and usually gives the best taste of what the blend has to offer. Hang in there, you're closer than you think to really enjoying a great pipe.
Now - get that English and run from those horrid aromatics!!! :eek:

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Does the pipe have a bowl coating? Some bowl coatings can taste truly horrible. Smoking from bare briar is not ideal either.

A few more smokes and you should have a little cake coating the bowl and things will likely taste better. Also, as if you hadnt heard it before, go slow :)

Bob Kuehner

Lurker
Apr 8, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Hello.
I am new to pipe smoking and have smoked my pipe about 3 times so far, and all 3 times the most dominant taste is just ash.
I was wondering if I am doing something wrong? Packing too loosely or too tight?

I read that some people say that one needs to break in the pipe and the taste will get better, whilst other say that drying out the tobacco is key.

For clarification: My pipe is a briar and the tobacco I am smoking is an aromatic called Amphora nr.8.

But I was wondering what experience you guys have with this?

Thanks.
Hmm... I think my dad told me that if it tastes like ash, you took too big of a bite.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
where it stays lit.
I wouldn't worry about it staying lit all that much. If it takes 20 re-lights it takes 20 re-lights. There's nothing wrong with that. I do it quite often. Half the time my pipe goes out because I'm busy talking, busy pouring myself another glass of wine, or I just generally get distracted. Heck, I even get an intense burst of flavor on re-lights sometimes.

Pack a little looser than you think and use a tamper to pack it while smoking. Don't try to get it permanently lit on the first light. Many tobaccos expand and won't stay lit on the first try because of the expansion. Let it go out, tamp it down, and light again. Repeat if necessary. Your tongue will thank you.

Once you develop a process that works for you and you can smoke slowly and cooly give aromatics a try again. You'd be surprised at the flavors they produce when they aren't smoked like a hot freight train.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
BTW: You're off to a better start than I was. My first pipe was a Peterson 03 smooth bent apple Dracula series. I had quit cigarettes and took the pipe but, I smoked WAY to fast and hot. On my 4th bowl in it, in under a few hours, it started billowing white smoke. The taste was horrid and nearly burst into flame. I had to throw it in the yard it was so hot. Moral of the story, the learning experience is part of the pipe hobby.