PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lykkeberg

Lurker
Nov 25, 2019
Denmark
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Hello.
I am new to pipe smoking and have smoked my pipe about 3 times so far, and all 3 times the most dominant taste is just ash.
I was wondering if I am doing something wrong? Packing too loosely or too tight?

I read that some people say that one needs to break in the pipe and the taste will get better, whilst other say that drying out the tobacco is key.

For clarification: My pipe is a briar and the tobacco I am smoking is an aromatic called Amphora nr.8.

But I was wondering what experience you guys have with this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It takes a while for the tongue to get used to the new substance and start picking up flavours. Stick with it.

Yes, very soon someone will come and say aromatics are terrible and you should smoke English blends to save yourself from tongue bite and disappointment. What-e-ver. The only thing I'll remark is that you shouldn't expect to taste what you smell in the room note, or the tin note for that matter (not at this stage).

You'll know if you're making packing mistakes if you burn your tongue or the pipe can't stay lit, or both. Aside from that, I find that packing hasn't as much effect on flavour as smoking cadence. Smoke very, very slowly.

Dry the tobacco a bit (but don't let it go bone dry if it's an aro, or you'll definitely taste nothing but ash), and sip slowly. Stick with it: eventually you'll be able to taste an aromatic's tin note. Been there, accomplished that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Take it easy: right now you need to work on proper technique, i.e. not burning your tongue and keeping the pipe lit (relights are fine, but you don't wanna be lighting after every puff). One day you'll take a sippuff and shall have your a-ha! moment when your tongue will report the taste of vanilla, nuts, rum, or whatever's in that blend.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
at what point do you taste ash? from the start? after awhile? do you use tamper?

reason for asking this is, i notice ash after smoking the bowl for awhile. if i don't use tamper to push down the ash and lower the amber, i don't taste ash. also if i clean out the ash, problem goes away. something i noticed lately.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good advice in this thread. The only thing I would add is that it makes sense, IMO, to start with as forgiving a blend as possible. My recommendation for any beginner would be a couple Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes and some Carter Hall. Pipe smoking can be a rather finicky process, so stick with it and give it time.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I have had the same experience, also am new to smoking. At the end of the day, you are smoking tobacco. The taste you are getting is tobacco. With more time I also hope to get some of flavors others talk about. But I am Learning to enjoy the natural flavor. I do enjoy drawing on the pipe and am working on technique. If I don’t have too many relights, don’t get tongue bite, and don’t get an overheated pipe, I know I am doing all I can.

so, your experience is similar to mine, for what that’s worth.
Cheers
Drew

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are not all wrong. Half the ember in the bowl is, in fact, ash. The standard advice is to sip, not puff. Slow down your cadence, take a pause between sips. Stop and consider what you are tasting other than ash. Pipe smoking is probably an acquired taste for most people, but it could well be one you will enjoy, so take your time.