PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
As much as I've always wanted a Magnum PI Ferrari I opted for a 4 door sedan with great performance and space for family road trips. Super fun in sport mode, easy going in economy mode, and more comfortable than the 3 series BMW.

2019 with 16K miles for $30,590 plus another $3K for an 84 month 125K mile factory warranty:

View attachment 99895

View attachment 99896

I was told that it's not wrong to put a child's car seat in an Alfa Romeo but only because it's a Minnie Mouse car seat:

View attachment 99898
That is a gorgeous car, brother!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My process for important decision making goes like this
. Due extensive research
. Consider if it's going to put a financial strain on me
. Consider (long term) if it's going to hold it's value and go up in value
. Consider (short term) if I had to sell tomorrow how quick could I sell and can I get my money back
. Realize it's my hard earned money and it's ok to reward myself with something I'm going to enjoy and find happiness owning

I'm sure you've probably already thought of all these things though
Mine too, except that you forgot to include the final critical step:
Throw all that bullshit thinking out and go with what you know is right for you.

Had I followed those steps without the final critical one I'd have wound up going for the security and the money, maybe ending up as a surgeon, lawyer, politician, drug lord, or other popular occupation. Nope. 50 years as a working artist, a largely socially despised career choice, doing the social and financial high wire act. Wouldn't change that for anything.

Things provide pleasures, not happiness. Happiness is an inside job.

Poll after poll shows that between 80 and 90% of the population hates their job. That's a lot of lifespan spent doing something one hates just to survive, let alone "prosper". And they spend day after day, year after year, kidding themselves that it's all just fine and that they're content. No wonder things are so fucked up. But there may be change happening as people are reconsidering their lives, getting wise to themselves, and quitting their jobs in record numbers.

All of which is to say, if you really want that stupid hot rod, get the damned thing and enjoy the hell out of it. And if you don't, it's really because you didn't want it as much as you thought you did, and that's fine too. Some other bliss will eventually come along.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Mine too, except that you forgot to include the final critical step:
Throw all that bullshit thinking out and go with what you know is right for you.

Had I followed those steps without the final critical one I'd have wound up going for the security and the money, maybe ending up as a surgeon, lawyer, politician, drug lord, or other popular occupation. Nope. 50 years as a working artist, a largely socially despised career choice, doing the social and financial high wire act. Wouldn't change that for anything.

Things provide pleasures, not happiness. Happiness is an inside job.

Poll after poll shows that between 80 and 90% of the population hates their job. That's a lot of lifespan spent doing something one hates just to survive, let alone "prosper". And they spend day after day, year after year, kidding themselves that it's all just fine and that they're content. No wonder things are so fucked up. But there may be change happening as people are reconsidering their lives, getting wise to themselves, and quitting their jobs in record numbers.

All of which is to say, if you really want that stupid hot rod, get the damned thing and enjoy the hell out of it. And if you don't, it's really because you didn't want it as much as you thought you did, and that's fine too. Some other bliss will eventually come along.
Hey if that works for you it's all good. That BS way of thinking is the reason that when I sold my landscaping business I sold it for four times what I had invested into it and when I had to sell my Camaro I sold it for almost double what I had into it. If it wasn't for those simple guidelines I follow I would definitely be homeless right now LOL

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Mrs Cosmic and I have discussed getting a convertible next year as our toy car for vacation drives, but she was thinking new Mazda convertible. This one hit the radar as I was scanning cars listed. Then the theme song... which caused a rush of testosterone... and we all know that testosterone leads to sleeping on the couch.
Do it! Back during the VW diesel debacle a few years back, they offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a buyback for my diesel Passat. So, like you, I did some internet searching for a used car as a replacement and somehow ended up with a Mustang GT convertible that was a year newer with less miles for around the same price as the buyback offer on the VW. I love it and if I lived down south like you, instead of up here in MN, I'd be driving it 365 days a year.

It didn't take long to get over the concern of what people thought of my midlife crisis issue. It's a blast even with the top up but there's nothing like having the top down on nice autumn day. Don't know about the Ferrari but if you're on the fence about a convertible, I say get one. Especially a fast one.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV Ferrari 308 GTS is also my dream car. If you can swing the maintenence, you should absolutely pull the trigger. Even if you only have it a year or two, you will have owned that car and driven the hell out of it.

Most of us here are at the age where the bucket list rule applies. This would definitely be a bucket lister.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hey if that works for you it's all good. That BS way of thinking is the reason that when I sold my landscaping business I sold it for four times what I had invested into it and when I had to sell my Camaro I sold it for almost double what I had into it. If it wasn't for those simple guidelines I follow I would definitely be homeless right now LOL
And I did pretty well in property investment, while working full time at art, with which I also did pretty well. Money is nice, but it really doesn't buy happiness. Some of the most miserable people I've met are extremely wealthy.

• Love
Reactions: sandollars
Some of the most miserable people I've met are extremely wealthy.
I agree. I actually know quite a few very wealthy people, and all but maybe one guy just seems miserable. And, that one guy has no technology in his life at all.
However, I do know quite a few very poor people who seem to be enjoying the shit out of life.
While, I will bump elbows with rich people all day long, when it comes to having fun, I'd much rather hang out with poor folks.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
And I did pretty well in property investment, while working full time at art, with which I also did pretty well. Money is nice, but it really doesn't buy happiness. Some of the most miserable people I've met are extremely wealthy.
Oh definitely 100% I've done a ton of work for these people who have everything you could ask for and it's funny when your in their house they act like your almost invisible. The children cussing out the parents, the nagging wife who does nothing and makes her husband miserable, the overworked husband who's throwing money at anything and everything he can to try to have something he can pretend to enjoy. I've seen a lot.
I think the point I was just trying to get across is just make sure that " gotta have" next thing isn't going to get you in trouble or you lose your ass on it. I've "wheeled and dealed" for many years and it sucks when I get what I want only to find out that's not really what I wanted or needed. I bought it on impulse and have buyers remorse and if i try to sell it I take a 50% hit. Basically just gave my money away and now im stuck with a headache.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Me as well, one and done with a Forester. I had to pull the motor off the motor mount, to change the sparkplugs, and leaky valve cover gasket. But a piece of cake compared to a mid-engined Ferrari.
Ive mainly worked on American muscle cars so the first time I had to work on a 1991 Nissan 300zx it's was definitely a learning experience. The Subaru just pissed me off. It's like the engineers put a hidden camera in the engine bay and they are laughing their asses off watching you work on their death trap ?

Oh definitely 100% I've done a ton of work for these people who have everything you could ask for and it's funny when your in their house they act like your almost invisible. The children cussing out the parents, the nagging wife who does nothing and makes her husband miserable, the overworked husband who's throwing money at anything and everything he can to try to have something he can pretend to enjoy. I've seen a lot.
I think the point I was just trying to get across is just make sure that " gotta have" next thing isn't going to get you in trouble or you lose your ass on it. I've "wheeled and dealed" for many years and it sucks when I get what I want only to find out that's not really what I wanted or needed. I bought it on impulse and have buyers remorse and if i try to sell it I take a 50% hit. Basically just gave my money away and now im stuck with a headache.
I know many very wealthy people that are happy in life. It's not the money that makes them happy. It's the sense of accomplishment, their family, their relationships that make them happy. Money is a pleasant footnote.

I know many very wealthy people who are not happy in life too, but I choose not to allow them in my personal life because as people they kinda suck. puffy.

Stereo-typing any class, race, gender, etc. is simply manifesting our own individual ignorance. There's an ancient text with dubious origins called "Blind Men and an Elephant". It's a good parable and worth reading.

YMMV puffy

Oh, and @That Guy , this wasn't directed at you. You just happen to be the last of several to comment on the subject :)

I know many very wealthy people that are happy in life. It's not the money that makes them happy. It's the sense of accomplishment, their family, their relationships that make them happy. Money is a pleasant footnote.

I know many very wealthy people who are not happy in life too, but I choose not to allow them in my personal life because as people they kinda suck. puffy.

Stereo-typing any class, race, gender, etc. is simply manifesting our own individual ignorance. There's an ancient text with dubious origins called "Blind Men and an Elephant". It's a good parable and worth reading.

YMMV puffy

Oh, and @That Guy , this wasn't directed at you. You just happen to be the last of several to comment on the subject :)
I don’t believe you. Give me a billion dollars and let me see for myself. puffy