PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently had oral surgery and am taking a hiatus from smoking for about a month while everything heals. Years ago, I used to take several weeks to a month off each year to give my mouth a break. I'm curious to know if anyone else takes regular breaks from smoking to give his mouth a respite.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I don't take planned breaks, they just usually happen when I get a busy stretch or have to travel for work.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I can not smell like smoke when I am at a client, If a client says I smell like smoke I could lose my job. I am at the client site Tuesday-Thursday so I smoke Thursday night - Sunday and lay off the rest of the week. I did the same when I was smoking cigars. I find my mouth does recover and it does feel better than weeks where I am home and smoke every day. As an added bonus the first smokes after a break allow me to enjoy the more subtle flavors. Have you considered "off days" so you can still enjoy without going smoke free? Also if it is for dental work can you sip instead of clenching?

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Good to listen to your body always...I take breaks as needed...or until my mouth feels ok after a good smash up.
All the best and wish you a quick recovery.
Take Care

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm not really smoking enough these days to require breaks ... they just happen naturally due to schedule.
I wish you a speedy recovery and minimal pain!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have some major oral surgery coming up so I have been anticipating a long break from smoking.

Rather than binging imam cutting down. I guess a break isn't a bad idea.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Feel better and best wishes for a speedy recovery! I have so few teeth I stopped worrying about smoking breaks years ago and since everything tastes like Condor I am sort of OK with that situation! It is not a course of action I would recommend to everyone else!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I only smoke 2-3 bowls a week at best this time of year so I am always on break. When the weather gets warm I cycle 100 miles per week so I smoke even less.
I wish you well and hope you have a speedy recovery

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I had to take an extended break after I had an odd reaction from Squadron. My tongue was shot. Other than that a couple days during the week here and there is all I can do. I crave a bowl too often.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I smoke 2 bowls a day usually, but when I'm sick I won't, the last flu I had I didn't smoke for a good 2 weeks.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I usually smoke a couple of days a week- mainly because i cycle 4 days a week..and the other issue is tha even with good dust collecion in my shop, i get more exposure to ebonite and dust than i' m comfortable with...moderation is good!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Get well soon! I take breaks when I feel tongue bite now and then/don't feel like a pipe. One of the best things about this hobby is that you control it, not the other way around.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your very kind words. I'm doing fine. The pain is almost gone. The surgery involved some bone and tissue grafting to spruce up an older surgery of 13 years ago, no big deal. But smoking while the incisions were healing seemed like a dumb thing for me to do, so I decided to lay off. Since it takes about a month for everything to heal up, that's how long I'll lay off.

I won't pretend that I don't feel the urge to have a bowlful, but it's not overpowering in the least. My mouth does feel a lot better and I'm healing up rapidly according to the surgeon who looked at me last Wednesday.

Your responses have been very interesting and helpful. Thanks!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jesse--heal quickly! And stay on the forum while you're recovering. Many of us take breaks at regular intervals, and having surgery or a minor illness is good enough reason to lay off for a while.

Mar 1, 2014
My plans right now include taking a month or so off after I've learned to properly light a bowl and enjoy it. Right now I'm using the pipe more often than I'd like, but hopefully after getting through the beginner phase I'll be able to pick up my pipe as opportunity arises and get maximum enjoyment from it.

Honestly it's hard finding enough time to smoke more than a few bowls a week even while I'm trying to smoke as much as I can.

(Though I'm guessing people don't have quite as much trouble in places where the temperature doesn't drop 15 degrees below freezing every night.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a small turf burner for when I need reminder of Ireland. My thought was put a bit of your favorite blend in an ash tray and put some flame to it. Naw! Too much work! Have someone in, fill a cheap pipe and have them gently blow smoke over your visage as you recline back on a lounge with a couple of nubile ladies feeding you grapes. If the surgery would permit it though, I'd opt for a nice rib eye with fries over the grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.