PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
The rumor we heard was that the paper binder was impregnated with chemicals like asbestos to slow the burn down & was worse for you than the tobacco itself. I have heard of that paper binder called a 'cancer' as in 'How do you freak a Black n Mild? Just empty it, tear out the cancer & then pack it back up.'
Well, the tobacco paper is what makes a machine rolled cigar inferior. If you ever disassemble a cigar to smoke in a pipe, try that separately. Have something else ready for when you dump it

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Covered Wagon?
That could very well be?
1940-1955-COVERED-WAGON-Cigar-Box-w-2-large-cigars.jpg

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don’t know why that makes me sad, as I don’t smoke them, but it kind of does. When I was a kindergartner (we were pretty poor) my pencil box was a Swisher Sweets box from my grandfather’s store. Imagine the fuss that would cause today if a kid showed up to school with that. ?

I'm working on a Swisher Blunts and Giants stockpile right now. I dont know why.. But yep that's kind of sad, for some reason.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Well, the tobacco paper is what makes a machine rolled cigar inferior. If you ever disassemble a cigar to smoke in a pipe, try that separately. Have something else ready for when you dump it

That wrapper on cheap cigars is pretty damn tasty though.. Not in the way a handmade cigar wrapper is, but there's something good there.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
They probably are in the right circumstances. I know that a big advantage the tobacco paper has is to make rolling a lot easier. :)

All the "blunt" rollers have nothing to worry about.. Swisher Cigarillos arent going anywhere, 3 times more of those are sold than all other cigars combined. Swisher has obviously realized they are in the marijuana business, and the rest of the cigars they made aren't part of the new demand.

I bet If you could go back in time to the 50's and tell the CEO about what the future held for Swisher Sweets.. he'd never believe you. Or If you told him how Tupac, and Hip Hop culture in general would one day save his company, he'd throw you out of his office. rotf

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and didimauw

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Spent two years on the road with the great Dr. John (RIP) and he loved to smoke Garcia y Vega candelas outside the bus every night, I'd hang with him and chat while he smoked. I'll pick-up some of those periodically as the aroma reminds me of him and those times.
That is really, really, really cool. I don't think of myself as particularly impressionable, but I love Dr. John, and that story made me want to go out and get a pack of those GyVs right now (smoked them in high school).

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
A great old character introduced me to Backwoods cigars when I was about 17. He would happily accept a nice Dominican given the opportunity, but he smoked Backwoods religiously and swore that they were made with good tobacco, so I believed him and smoked a shit-ton of them. He did work at the dump, but that should not be considered a stain upon his judgment.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I ... ummm ... I guess I like a lot of those cheap gas station cigars, Swishers and White Owls included. They’re certainly not on the level of a San Lotano or Rocky Patel, but a Swisher Sweet takes me back to a lot of low stakes poker games from years ago. They’re also easy to find, when the need arises and senility lets me leave my pipe at home.

I had a peach flavored White Owl not too many years back. Not too bad! I’d smoke another one of those before packing a bowl of certain aromatics that come to mind. (Grape White Owls are a different matter entirely. They‘re what I’d imaging a urinal cake to taste like. Yecch!)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
All the "blunt" rollers have nothing to worry about.. Swisher Cigarillos arent going anywhere, 3 times more of those are sold than all other cigars combined. Swisher has obviously realized they are in the marijuana business, and the rest of the cigars they made aren't part of the new demand.

I bet If you could go back in time to the 50's and tell the CEO about what the future held for Swisher Sweets.. he'd never believe you. Or If you told him how Tupac, and Hip Hop culture in general would one day save his company, he'd throw you out of his office. rotf
it could be worse he might start thinking he's with it and hip. Then he'll start busting free styles all over business meetings and the what not.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
For a super cheapo cigar, I like the Villiger Export Naturals. They are little short-fill dry cured cigars. I understand that they are sort of the European answer to gas station cigars like Swishers. However, they are not flavored. Just plain baccy. I frequently take a few paddling or fishing with me and don't worry at all if one gets broken, or if I splash one and soak it in a rapid and put it out, etc.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
That is really, really, really cool. I don't think of myself as particularly impressionable, but I love Dr. John, and that story made me want to go out and get a pack of those GyVs right now (smoked them in high school).
Do it! I may do the same! He's somewhere out there smoking one right now.

Reactions: odobenus

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
For a super cheapo cigar, I like the Villiger Export Naturals. They are little short-fill dry cured cigars. I understand that they are sort of the European answer to gas station cigars like Swishers. However, they are not flavored. Just plain baccy. I frequently take a few paddling or fishing with me and don't worry at all if one gets broken, or if I splash one and soak it in a rapid and put it out, etc.

Those little Villigers are handy indeed, but I'd recommend never cutting one open or you'll see how just cheap they are. LOL.

I made the mistake of buying a box of the non-maduros once and couldn't have been happier once I finished all of them and had the burden lifted off my shoulders.

Reactions: lawdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.