PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
I'm a newbie here, so maybe shouldn't get involved. But I have to this time. Drinking alcohol, like vodka, moonshine, etc, is Ethyl alcohol. Ok in moderation. But rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol, a poison. And as others have said, also contains other chemicals. You don't want that stuff in your pipes.
And I see while I was typing, lots of other folks said the same. Sorry. Should shut up now.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
And I see while I was typing, lots of other folks said the same. Sorry. Should shut up now.
I, for one, welcome any and all feedback!

And welcome aboard the Forums. I joined recently myself, & this is truly a delightful community.

Ok. Gonna log off now & go have a few shots of rubbing alcohol & snack on some charcoal.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Gotcha. And makes sense. There was a girl in my 6th grade class who had to get her stomach pumped after she drank some rubbing alcohol.

I’ve also personally never been comfortable with using hydrogen peroxide for mouthwash. But there’s a lot of folks who do it. Not for me.
“Food grade” hydrogen peroxide is what you would use internally. As for cleaning pipes, I use Bacardi 151. (No longer in production.)

Reactions: dctune and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Well, I like an occasional licorice candy, but I don't think I want it in my pipe.
It's,apparently, a love/hate kind of blend. Been around forever and Sutliff's top money maker over the years. I just bought a pouch last week and was pleasantly surprised! It's very mild but has good quality burley.

Reactions: Carol

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There must have been some flavoring in the vodka in order for that to happen...

Pure ethyl, or grain alcohol, (C2H6O) commonly sold under the name "Everclear" works best. I have to go to Wisconsin to get it.

Denatured alcohol is pure ethyl alcohol that generally has 10-15% methyl (wood) alcohol (CH3OH) added to it. As long as you're not drinking it, there shouldn't be any issue after the alcohol has evaporated if used for cleaning a pipe.

Isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O) is chemically different than ethyl alcohol. It works OK for cleaning pipes as well.

Reactions: dctune

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
There must have been some flavoring in the vodka in order for that to happen...

Pure ethyl, or grain alcohol, (C2H6O) commonly sold under the name "Everclear" works best. I have to go to Wisconsin to get it.

Denatured alcohol is pure ethyl alcohol that generally has 10-15% methyl (wood) alcohol (CH3OH) added to it. As long as you're not drinking it, there shouldn't be any issue after the alcohol has evaporated if used for cleaning a pipe.

Isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O) is chemically different than ethyl alcohol. It works OK for cleaning pipes as well.
No flavor. It was straight vodka. My guess is the vodka and the cake didn’t pair well.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
No flavor. It was straight vodka. My guess is the vodka and the cake didn’t pair well.
Vodka probably had nothing to with it, compared to what was smoked in it before.
Load it up with your favorite baccy & smoke it till the Anise goes away. No matter how many bowls full.

Reactions: dctune