Sutliff Sale - Are You Hitting This One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
1) Sablebrush wins the Internet for today with that post.

2) The bane of my existence is not a Sutliff sale, but a Greg Pease sale (15 percent) over at SP.com, which I think is/was just happening.. I think I have just retired and dutifully spent the last 25 years filling two large plastic tubs with tins (2 oz and 8 oz) of my favorites, which not surprisingly are GLP blends and some of Russ' hits. Nonetheless, I still want to buy more. I'm turning 50 next month and have 50-plus pounds. Even if I live a long, smoke-filled life, I will not finish my stash.

I still bought 2 LBS of tobacco this year --- Pease's new Sparkplug because I don't have enough latakia and a new-to-me blend, Sextant, yummy.

Satan, get thee behind me.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I bought a pound of va slices, match victorian, and 212 burley delight. I didn't see 212 mentioned but in my opinion it is a good blend in a cob while doing yard work and such.
I also added 2 oz of frosty mint just for the hell of it.

@cosmicfolklore @Chasing Embers @mso489 Gentlemen, are there any good Sutliff burleys?
I wish that I could say that there was at least one of their burleys that I liked, but they are all just too sweet for my tastes. You might check out one of their Codger Matches. But, @Chasing Embers or @jiminks might be able to better make that pitch.
Voodoo Queen is a Sutliff that I like, but it's a balanced latakia and perique blend,... not exactly a burley blend.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I hit this sale for
507-C Va Slices (haven't tried it yet)
507-S Stoved Va (like it just fine)
515 RC-1 Red Va (like it lots)
707 Sweet Va (like it, too)

The lower three kinds make a nice blend for my taste and preference. I admit that several others edge these out (i.e., Sillem's Mayor-thnx Shane for the recent review!, Union Square, Telegraph Hill, Stratford, & even more, the following--C&D Bright Va Ribbon [probably my favorite and have 14 lbs of it], Yorktown, New Market, Bayou Morning, Sun Bear Black Locust, Va Gentleman, Carolina Red Flake with and w/out Perique, etc).

But the prices for these four Sutliff blends and the pleasure I get smoking them, make these hard for me to pass up--so I jumped on board :)

kindly,
mike

Reactions: strave19

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match is one I heavily stocked. The J-4 Burley is pretty good, too. The White Burley is a good mixer, but I've smoked it straight and enjoyed it. The Estate blend is Chatham Manor in bulk. Duke Albert is their Price Albert Match. Sugar Bucket is Match Sugar Barrel in bulk.

Perhaps my reviews of the first three will be of help to those reading this.

Match Ready Rubbed:
A straight burley blend that is nutty, earthy, and woody with a definite molasses flavor and a little cocoa. Has a mild nicotine hit. The strength is mild, and the taste is a couple of steps past that mark. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does have a rough edge, and a slight sharp note from the white burley. Burns a little slow due to being a cube cut; cool and clean with a very consistent taste. Requires a few relights, and leaves very little dampness in the bowl. Has a very pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. An all day work and play smoke that may not be complex, but has enough going for it to hold your interest. A good starter burley blend for someone who has never tried the genre.

This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which. I gave four stars to the original.

J-4:
The Kentucky burley offer a lot of earth, nuts, wood, a little molasses, and a touch of cocoa. The sweet topping seems to be an extremely mild vanilla that doesn’t sublimate the burleys much. It does have a slight rough edge that you may not notice unless you puff real fast. The strength is a couple of steps past the mild mark. That taste is in the center of mild to medium. Has a mild nic-hit, and won’t bite. Burns slightly slow with a cool, very clean consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights as the tobacco is a tad moist. I did not see the need to dry it. Has a very pleasant after taste that lingers for a minute or two. An easy going all day work and play smoke.

Burley Delight #212:
The star component is burley, which is nutty, woody and a little earthy with some molasses, and oats. It also has slight sharp and spicy notes. There’s a small amount of light Virginia with a little grass and a bit of citrus. The chocolate has a little richness and is mildly applied, toning down the tobaccos just a little. The strength is a couple of steps past the mild mark, while the taste is in the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is mild. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, clean, a little creamy with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Won’t bite or get harsh even if pushed. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. The lightly lingering after taste is pleasant. An easy going all day smoke that wears well throughout your day. Three and a half stars.

TS-4 White Cube Burley:
The white burley has a burst of nuttiness, earth, wood, toasted bread, some sharp, dry rough edges, floralness, a little sourness, spice, vegetation, light sugar, slight pine needle essence, and a bare touch of smokiness. The molasses topping mildly sublimates the burley. The strength and nic-hit are a step past the center of mild to medium. The taste levels is a slot stronger. No chance of bite, and little chance of harshness, unless you’re aiming to set a record for fast puffing. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. As a stand alone smoke, it’s three stars. As the blending component it’s supposed to be, it’s four stars. Smoked straight, it may be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker or a repeatable one. That would greatly depend on your personal preference.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
The Sutliff 20% off sale started a shopping spree akin to an 'ol "blue light special" at KMART! (sorry if your too young to remember this iconic display of impulse shopping brought on by a sudden sale)

Once I ordered some Sutliff, J4 Burley, Balkan Sobranie 759 Match and Match 20 (never tired any of these ) and some pipe cleaners I needed, I thought about what else I could order?

Might as well order some more GL Quiet Nights and Arango, Balkan Supreme. Then I looked at the balance in my shopping cart. Hmm, I'm close to free shipping; not far from the minimum.

I know, I'll order some Orlik Golden slices that I've been wanting to try and a jar of Halcyon II Wax to keep those pipes looking good.

Tada! I got free shipping!!!

Needless to say, I am good to go on 'Baccy for the Winter. Cheers!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I'm skipping the sale due to being a cheap SOB who refuses to be the new Virginia excise tax; however, with regards to Sutliff I have grown to have quite the affinity for Sutliff 307 Mocha Strips

• Haha
Reactions: macaroni and pygmig

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Speaking of Sutliff 515 RC-1, I picked this up recently to test the waters of ketchupy matches for old McClelland blends. I'd heard good things about 515, Jiminks gave it four stars!

However smoking it I couldn't get through even half a bowl. It's just hardcore sharp vinegar all the way through. I then tried mixing it 50/50 with 507-s and while the stoved VA helped to add more sweetness or caramel it was still just overpoweringly vinegar. I'm not sure what kinds of ketchup they've got in the pantry at Sutliff but I have a feeling it may just be a mislabeled bottle of pure vinegar!

Does anyone else have experience with Sutliff's 515 and does it mellow out a lot over time? I smoked it nearly right after getting it so I'm hoping it gets a lot better with some age on it. As it stands now though it's definitely not close to a replacement for McClelland Virginia's for me.
I have also found a terrible vinegar taste and tin note to RC-1, this stuff is awful.
Now 507 on the other hand is great, dont really get how they fudged up so bad on RC-1.

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have also found a terrible vinegar taste and tin note to RC-1, this stuff is awful.
Now 507 on the other hand is great, dont really get how they fudged up so bad on RC-1.

I'm smoking the 515 I left out to dry at C. Embers and jiminks suggestion right now. It's a lot less vinegary, it's still there but it's muted and much better integrated with the natural Virginia now.

So if you haven't, try giving it a hefty dry.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Blue haired biddies would beat you with a cane if you got under their feet on their way to that blue flashing insanity. rotf
So, what's wrong with my blue hair and cane? I thought you said you LIKE it when I beat you---gosh, you were Begging for it last night!! WTF?
kindly
mike