PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewerZach

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2020
Shelby, North Carolina
Aside from being offered as C&D bulk, it's also the base for Autumn Evening. Not a big maple cases tobacco fan, but that one has such a pleasant natural leaf component that rings through the lighter-than-most toppings. I just have an extra low threshold for maple anything.
Haha @cosmicfolklore you already knew that though. I was trying to hit reply up top... What a long day

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Also if you’re willing to play with whole tobacco - WLTs red va is superb
When ordering from wholeleaftobacco.com, which one do you like, or suggest, as far as red Virginia? Would you suggest any of their other Virginias? I've ordered pipe tobacco leaf from leafonly.com before and was disappointed.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
When ordering from wholeleaftobacco.com, which one do you like, or suggest, as far as red Virginia? Would you suggest any of their other Virginias? I've ordered pipe tobacco leaf from leafonly.com before and was disappointed.
I’m more of a burley forward smoker, but I really like the WLT red, double bright (kilned after curing) and their hand tied stuff. They have a sale on at the moment too. I think the main thing is to get a variety of Virginia and then blend them together and let sit for a month or two. I think there is also a difference in terminology used between pipe smokers/commercial blend and whole leaf .

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I’m more of a burley forward smoker, but I really like the WLT red, double bright (kilned after curing) and their hand tied stuff. They have a sale on at the moment too. I think the main thing is to get a variety of Virginia and then blend them together and let sit for a month or two. I think there is also a difference in terminology used between pipe smokers/commercial blend and whole leaf .
Thanks for telling me about this. Between you telling me about the sale and the site, @cosmicfolklore encouragement, and @F4RM3R skill with blending whole leaves,. I've decided to try whole leaf processing again. I've worked with whole leaf cigar tobacco with some success, but it was always a miss with pipe leaf, from leafonly.com

I have a full cart on their site, and tomorrow when WLT starts their sale, ill be ordering. Thanks everyone!

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Thanks for telling me about this. Between you telling me about the sale and the site, @cosmicfolklore encouragement, and @F4RM3R skill with blending whole leaves,. I've decided to try whole leaf processing again. I've worked with whole leaf cigar tobacco with some success, but it was always a miss with pipe leaf, from leafonly.com

I have a full cart on their site, and tomorrow when WLT starts their sale, ill be ordering. Thanks everyone!
Good luck with your blending experiments! A big game changer for me was stoving the whole leaf virginias I get from whole leaf. Even a few hours can really make a virginia come alive with those sweet/fruity/tangy notes that you get in alot of commercial blends.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Another question, if you will. Would you compare the WLT red Virginia to the C&D CRV?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Another question, if you will. Would you compare the WLT red Virginia to the C&D CRV?
I’m not familiar with that C&D blend sorry. All I can say is that before smoking WLT Virginia I would get too much bite from commercial produced Virginia blends, especially red va forward ones. Through the experience of handling Unmanufactured leaf I began to understand about the correct case/dryness required to smoke. I also think having no humectants would help. I would assume that the leaf used by C&D would be the same, however they would still process it to make it a blending component. This is a stage you could do yourself, whether it’s stoving, pressing and aging etc. I have a mate who smokes WLT red va mixed 50:50 with perique and he swears by it

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Status
Not open for further replies.