PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Well, I mixed and pressed a Burley blend (what I thought was going to be a Burley blend, at least) and added 10% Sutliff Mature Red Virginia 515-RC, and 10% of their Stoved Virginia offering, all the rest a blend burleys, even with 10% of those being Dark Fire Cured.

Damned if all I can taste is the Matured Red 515-RC... Geez this stuff is tangy. To be honest, when I started sampling all these blending Virginias, I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty they each were, including the 515 although it seemed really cased and tangy. It was damn sure a mistake to put it in a Burley blend though. I'm looking for a softer red Virginia, and though the blending red longcut va and blending red ribbon va from P&C are fairly soft, they aren't quite as good.

Anyone know of a good soft but decently flavorful pure Virginia I can blend with? I seem to like the red va that C&D uses, has anyone tried theirs? Would it fit the bill for "soft"? Any others?

Reactions: chopper and dmcmtk

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I do play with whole leaves from leafonly but they are cigar leaves since I roll my own when I'm feeling dextrous. I don't have a tobacco shredder, and will never buy one of those hand crank one's ever again because they are impossible to clean, so I can't see buying whole leaves of Virginia unfortunately. I tried cutting with a good knife too and that was still an inconsistent nightmare. I'll check out low country Virginia, and I use burleys from P&C as well as C&D dark burley. I'm not a fan of sutliff's Burley, but the 515 did come out good as the base for a VaPer blend I did last month.

I suggest rolling the leaf up... you don't have to be perfect, but make it about cigar wide. Then take a cigar cutter and lay it on a table. Just cut an end to get it flat, and then put the roll into the cutter while it is laying on a table. The clip, move what was cut, lay it down, and clip again. You'll get a rhythm, and it doesn't take terribly long. Keeping it on a table, helps you keep the thickness consistent.

I think that I've made my disdain for this Sutliff blend known. No reason for me to repeat it, but blech, vinegar aromatic.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I've been eyeing Two Timer, probably time I just got some. And I am quite familiar with whole leaves, and I am a decent cigar roller, the only problem I had was the shredder, but I never thought of just pressing whole leaves to make a flake or rolling them up and using a cigar cutter, that's brilliant. Thanks Ahi Ka and Cosmic!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Have you tried red virginia cavendish ?

"Red Virginia can add a toasty bit of sweetness to a blend, but they can sometimes be a little sharp. By taking ripe, red Virginias and slowly toasting them until they become a deep mahogany color, that edge goes away, and the body and flavor become deeper. If you're looking to add some richness to a blend without amping up the strength (like dark Burley and dark-fired would do), this is a great component to try."

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Have you tried red virginia cavendish ?

"Red Virginia can add a toasty bit of sweetness to a blend, but they can sometimes be a little sharp. By taking ripe, red Virginias and slowly toasting them until they become a deep mahogany color, that edge goes away, and the body and flavor become deeper. If you're looking to add some richness to a blend without amping up the strength (like dark Burley and dark-fired would do), this is a great component to try."
That sounds lovely. I almost ordered some from smokingpipes, maybe I should have

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Haven't tried it, going to have to add some to my next order! There's another thread about why this forum is so great, my answer is, because member so freely help other members spend their money.

:ROFLMAO:
The one upside of the NZ import ban! I don’t have to include tobacco in the weekly budget...ok yeah, not so much of an upside. Lol

Reactions: artvandelay007

BrewerZach

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2020
Shelby, North Carolina
Haven't tried it, going to have to add some to my next order! There's another thread about why this forum is so great, my answer is, because member so freely help other members spend their money.

:ROFLMAO:
Red Virginia cavendish is great stuff. I use it at 15% or less to soften and round out some otherwise more "verdant when young" blends. Have you tried ready rubbing Sutliff's VA slices and using that in your blends? I've seen stellar result with a couple of pounds that I age every time P&C has an unbeatable price break on the Sutliff bulk. At about two years you start to get that intense figgy pow and it just gets better if you press the whole loose mixture in mylar for a few months.

Reactions: chopper

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Red Virginia cavendish is great stuff. I use it at 15% or less to soften and round out some otherwise more "verdant when young" blends. Have you tried ready rubbing Sutliff's VA slices and using that in your blends? I've seen stellar result with a couple of pounds that I age every time P&C has an unbeatable price break on the Sutliff bulk. At about two years you start to get that intense figgy pow and it just gets better if you press the whole loose mixture in mylar for a few months.
Where do you source the Red Virginia Cavendish from? Sounds amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.