PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
So, I popped my first tin of SCKRV last night, and the first thing that hit me was the strong vinegar smell (I prefer ketchup in my VA tins lol), then throughout the bowl, there was a strong tangy, but more sour taste. Not had this experience with Watch City Simply Red, or any other Red Va before. I let the tin stay open and then moved it to a Mason jar. Will the vinegar smell dissipate?, Does anyone have a similar experience or that this blend settles down? Any thoughts are appreciated.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I haven't tried this blend but I imagine it will settle down after a month or so of jar time. I've had a few blends come out of the tin swinging but a bit of jar time smoothed them out.

Reactions: BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The vinegar smell will mostly dissipate. I enjoy the Sutliff Crumble Kakes, especially with a year or more age. They don't really reach the heights of McC Red Cake, but they're still pretty tasty, and probably the closest thing out there. Not gonna have the deeply fermented McCatsup thing happening, but I pick up a red wine flavor that I really dig. Not gonna go hoard lbs of the stuff, but I think it's worth hiding a tin in the back of the cellar to see if it really surprises in 5 or 10 years. Same goes for 515RC-1.

Another thing. I, for one, feel that even McC VAs really start to shine best a couple weeks after the tin has been cracked and it's had some breathing time. Same thing applies to these Sutliff cakes.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So, I popped my first tin of SCKRV last night, and the first thing that hit me was the strong vinegar smell (I prefer ketchup in my VA tins lol), then throughout the bowl, there was a strong tangy, but more sour taste. Not had this experience with Watch City Simply Red, or any other Red Va before. I let the tin stay open and then moved it to a Mason jar. Will the vinegar smell dissipate?, Does anyone have a similar experience or that this blend settles down? Any thoughts are appreciated.
You just popped the tin and it’s most likely wet as hell when you’re smoking it. Break up a piece and let it dry completely... then try it

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It’s not vinegar you’re smelling. If it’s fresh, give it some time to air out. If you pinch it between your fingers and it sticks together then give it some more time. Once it falls apart after pinching it is about right. You don’t want to dry it too much, or you’ll lose the flavor.

It isn’t McClelland 5100, and it wasn’t necessarily meant to be either. To me it has a bit more stewed red fruit flavor, which I tend to like.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I’ve got a tin of this in the cellar. My Secret Santa giftee identified it as one of his favorites, so I snagged an extra tin for myself. I think I’ll give it another year or so before opening, however. I found RC-515 to be MUCH better, less vinegary, and smoother after a year or so in a jar.

Reactions: dcon

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I llove red VAs, and this is what they should taste like.

I fully rubbed out a tin today and was surprised at the volume of tobacco from those cakes.

Reactions: gamzultovah

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
It's been a good while since I've had 5100 and I am not trying compare it to that. Just giving it its own fair shake. This flavor for me is definitely vinegar and it is sour. I know vinegar is used by some blenders. So to all of your replies (and much appreciated!), I think some age and drying will settle it down.

Reactions: gamzultovah

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes - This has been settled for some time now, but the Internet lore of blenders splashing their blends down with vinegar still persists.

A while back I cased some whole leaf with apple cider vinegar; after 6 months to a year, while the note was similar, the flavor was very distinct from reds that had that note.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Yes - This has been settled for some time now, but the Internet lore of blenders splashing their blends down with vinegar still persists.

A while back I cased some whole leaf with apple cider vinegar; after 6 months to a year, while the note was similar, the flavor was very distinct from reds that had that note.
So, I am confused by that post and not being difficult. What has been settled? Is it apple cider vinegar that I could be detecting or the VA or what? It certainly has the same smell to me, and I have watched youtube folks speak of doing the same thing you stated you have done.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Not one I purchase often, but I enjoyed it when I smoked the tin I had.

As others have said, the "vinegar" wears off after a week or so.

Reactions: dcon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Reactions: frozenchurchwarden