PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
Trying to match another guys blend is the same as chasing fool's gold. A waste of time.
Is it not possible to create a blend and before mixing, you take the weights of each component tobacco so you know how to recreate the blend in the future? Or is there too much variation between the tobaccos that you have to blend based only on taste? I'm new to blending, so forgive me for my ignorance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it not possible to create a blend and before mixing, you take the weights of each component tobacco so you know how to recreate the blend in the future? Or is there too much variation between the tobaccos that you have to blend based only on taste? I'm new to blending, so forgive me for my ignorance.
Matching processes and tobacco from a particular strain or vintage isn't 100% possible. They can only approximate. The McNeil's were adamant about not letting proprietary information be revealed for fear of future bastardization of their products.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
Matching processes and tobacco from a particular strain or vintage isn't 100% possible. They can only approximate. The McNeil's were adamant about not letting proprietary information be revealed for fear of future bastardization of their products.
I think I understand, since you can't simulate the exact conditions and processes of blending you can only ever got an approximation.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’d just stop smoking before I’d turn to 515. Once my 5100 is gone, which will be a decade from now, I’ll just say, “buh-bye” to that flavor.
My sinuses cannot take that vinegar spray. YMMV

I agree completely. I didn't find them that similar. I personally prefer F&T Blackjack as an alternative to 5100. Even Old Gowrie although it has some other components. I'm thankful I manned to find 4 or 5 pound of 5100 before it was all gone.

Mar 1, 2014
Have the Mclelland owners not shared their production information with anyone?
It really seems a huge waste of basic human energy to take something like that to your grave, the only way society advances is standing on the achievements of those who came before.
I'm not saying that 5100 is as important as penicillin or that anyone is going to die if it's never replicated, but anyone who believes in the basic progress of humanity should be able to understand it's important to pass on your achievements to future generations.