PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
After purchasing and smoking some legit 5100 RedCake from another member here I realized that I absolutely love the taste. Knowing that the very limited amount I have isn't going to last too terribly long I asked what good alternatives there were for 5100. Sutliff's 515 RC-1 was the number one response, so I knew there was only one thing to do... break out my wallet and order some.
I got it in while ago and it has been sitting in a mason jar for about a month waiting to be smoked and I decided that today was going to be the day.

I opened both the 5100 and 515 jars and smelled them side by side. They smell remarkably similar. To my nose the 515 was a bit more pungent and ripe smelling. I also got more of a fresh wood chip aroma from the 515, but like I said VERY similar. The 5100 I got had already been aged for some time and it was at the perfect amount of moisture. The 515 was a bit moist was definitely too moist. I had to set it out to dry for around 45 minutes or so before packing a bowl. For continuity's sake I smoked the 515 out of the same cob I have been smoking the 5100 out of. From first light that tangy, woody, vinegary sweetness was there. I smoked slow and tried to really get a feel for the flavors. Like the tin note, the flavor is very similar. However, it isn't an exact match. It is hard for me to articulate the difference. I think all of the flavor components are there, but the degree to which they present themselves is different. The 515 tastes a little less sweet, less zesty, and less ketchup-y... but has more of a ripe tang then 5100. The 515 burned at a moderate pace and the flavor was fairly consistent for the majority of the bowl. 515, like 5100, does leave a bit of lingering aftertaste which I quite like.

At the end of the day 5100 is unfortunately never coming back, and if you like the taste Sutliff 515 RC-1 is probably the closest thing out there. I know once I am completely out of 5100 I will turn to 515 to get my fix. If you have been sleeping on 515 you should really wake up and give it a try. That way you can see for yourself how well it matches up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice review!
515 was created to impart a flavor similar to 5100 when used as a blending component. It wasn't intended, any more that was 5100, to be smoked straight. But, both of these offer an enjoyable smoke on their own. I found 5100 to be a bit of a snooze when I first smoked it, rather monochromatic. I'm leaving it jarred and will revisit it after it has a decade on it. 515 I disliked at first, but it grew on me after a few bowls. The biggest problem with it, for me, is that it really gunks up a bowl with a sticky gummy residue. So my pipes require more cleaning after a session with 515.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I discovered 5100 at the end of McClelland's run and was unable to get more. In 2019 I bought some 515 and it seemed a little harsh, though similar to 5100. I let it age two years and recently tried it. It has greatly improved with a couple of years aging and I expect it will improve greatly with more age.

As far a blending, I mixed some with Sutliff's smoked Virginia, 507, and it was pretty good.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Nice review!
515 was created to impart a flavor similar to 5100 when used as a blending component. It wasn't intended, any more that was 5100, to be smoked straight. But, both of these offer an enjoyable smoke on their own. I found 5100 to be a bit of a snooze when I first smoked it, rather monochromatic. I'm leaving it jarred and will revisit it after it has a decade on it. 515 I disliked at first, but it grew on me after a few bowls. The biggest problem with it, for me, is that it really gunks up a bowl with a sticky gummy residue. So my pipes require more cleaning after a session with 515.
I did notice the residue issue as well. Thought that was kind of strange, but completely neglected to mention it in my review.

Reactions: sablebrush52

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The 515 works for me, as a substitute for 5100 (although if I had of stocked up on 5100 that would have been preferable). I thought the 5100 was more 'ketchup' and the 515 more 'vinegar'.

Reactions: TheDesertPiper