PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Back in the day, I would order 5 lb bags of 5100. Pretty much all I smoked. Yeah, I know, rather crazy. The Sutliff version has a somewhat similar tin note and flavor profile. It’s not as full bodied or complex as 5100. If you have a red Virginia itch, it should scratch it.

I happen to think F&T Black Jack is more similar and tastes better. Old Gowrie has an extra ingredient but the tin note is remarkably similar and great flavor. WCC Simply Red is more similar to 5100 IMHO.
DUDE YOUR SENSES ARE SO WHACK

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I tried to get into RC-1 but was disappointed. The only thing it did was demonstrate how much better the real thing actually is. Even the infamous McClelland ketchup aroma has a complexity that the white vinegar stench of RC-1 doesn't come close to approximating. For $70 you can have a couple of pounds of mediocre Sutliff or single tin of the best McClelland. I know which I'd pick.
obviously 2lbs of 515 because it's fucking delicious.

Am I the only one who gets hit in the sinuses from all of the white vinegar used in the Sutliff faux-clellands? I'm always amazed when someone says, "yeh, it's not exact but smokable." Even my fingers will smell like I was dying Easter eggs after packing a bowl of it. I have never found that ketchupy 5100 aroma to even be close to that white vinegar Sutliff uses.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Am I the only one who gets hit in the sinuses from all of the white vinegar used in the Sutliff faux-clellands? I'm always amazed when someone says, "yeh, it's not exact but smokable." Even my fingers will smell like I was dying Easter eggs after packing a bowl of it. I have never found that ketchupy 5100 aroma to even be close to that white vinegar Sutliff uses.
when it's dry it has next to zero vinegar.
smells like fall leaves.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Yeah, I totally get how the vinegar could turn someone off the blend - like I said I love it myself so its a bonus.

I actually have a pound of Match Victorian on the way with my pound of 515 RC-1. I have never tried it but the sales price of approx. $22 a pound made me figure why the heck not. It gets a lot of good press around here so I suspect that I will like it.
Me too! I love vinegar, ketchup, pickles, etc. I buy the vinegar powder to put on popcorn, chips, wings...

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Me too! I love vinegar, ketchup, pickles, etc. I buy the vinegar powder to put on popcorn, chips, wings...
When I was a kid they introduced these shakers of flavours for popcorn at the movie theatres. One was salt and vinegar and you could pour it on to make it as strong as possible. I ended up walking away with a few of them to take home until they wised up and started chaining them to the condiment table!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When I was a kid they introduced these shakers of flavours for popcorn at the movie theatres. One was salt and vinegar and you could pour it on to make it as strong as possible. I ended up walking away with a few of them to take home until they wised up and started chaining them to the condiment table!
my buddy's dad used to take the salt shakers from McDonalds because it was like super fine salt.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Oct 7, 2016
Now after drying it, the vinegar taste is pretty much gone and I can't detect the PG any longer.
I first bought this about as soon as it became available, April or May of 2018 as I recall. N upending it, I detected the greasy feel that I always associated with PG. I spread the contents out, left them overnight and the greasy feel had totally disappeared, which is way faster than I would have anticipated. Still scratching my head about that, my experience has been that PG just doesn’t dissipate that fast.

That first batch had a vinegar aroma, but not overwhelming. Other orders have been more noticeable in the vinegar aroma department, but maybe that is because others have written about it and I have been more alert to finding it.

My understanding is that indeed Sutliff does have bales of this leaf that have, like 5100, gone through “sweats” (fermentation), so an acidic aroma is to be expected.

I find 515 RC -1 mixed 50/50 with Sutliff 507-S, each dried overnight, then mixed and packed tightly in a jar for about a month, to be a great smoke. But when McC was still in business, I smoked far more 5100/5105 mixed the same way than I did either straight up. I have some of each Mixture in small jars by my smoking chair now, and smoke them back to back on occasion. They aren’t quite identical, but I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Speaking of pressed, on another forum guys have used a noodle press on the RC 1/ 507 mix and reported good results.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I first bought this about as soon as it became available, April or May of 2018 as I recall. N upending it, I detected the greasy feel that I always associated with PG. I spread the contents out, left them overnight and the greasy feel had totally disappeared, which is way faster than I would have anticipated. Still scratching my head about that, my experience has been that PG just doesn’t dissipate that fast.

That first batch had a vinegar aroma, but not overwhelming. Other orders have been more noticeable in the vinegar aroma department, but maybe that is because others have written about it and I have been more alert to finding it.

5100 was matured red VA. 515 RC-1 is matured Bright VA. My understanding is that indeed Sutliff does have bales of this leaf that have, like 5100, gone through “sweats” (fermentation), so an acidic aroma is to be expected, but there is every reason to expect that they would be somewhat different, since the variety of the leaf is different. IMNSHO, neither are bursting with flavor smoked by themselves, and that is coming from a McClelland fan boy of decades.

I find 515 RC -1 mixed 50/50 with Sutliff 507-S, each dried overnight, then mixed and packed tightly in a jar for about a month, to be a great smoke. But when McC was still in business, I smoked far more 5100/5105 mixed the same way than I did either straight up. I have some of each Mixture in small jars by my smoking chair now, and smoke them back to back on occasion. They aren’t quite identical, but I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Speaking of pressed, on another forum guys have used a noodle press on the RC 1/ 507 mix and reported good results.
I agree that I do not believe there is much if any PG on 515RC1.. at least especially now.
I can lay some out on a tray and it dries faster than most other tobaccos.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

5100 was matured red VA. 515 RC-1 is matured Bright VA. My understanding is that indeed Sutliff does have bales of this leaf that have, like 5100, gone through “sweats” (fermentation), so an acidic aroma is to be expected, but there is every reason to expect that they would be somewhat different, since the variety of the leaf is different. IMNSHO, neither are bursting with flavor smoked by themselves, and that is coming from a McClelland fan boy of decades.

is it blasphemy that I want to throw some blackpool in 515?

Status
Not open for further replies.