PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
Nice review. For my palate, I happen to love the Sutliff 515! But I’ll let out a secret of mine.... you know what makes it phenomenal? Make a 50/50 mix of 515, and C&D Yorktown, let them meld flavors in a jar for a month or so, then behold!!! Absolute Virginia pipe tobacco bliss!!!!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Sutliff 515 rc1
Just received an oz of this and glad I only ordered that much. It's definately got a funky aftertaste that I'm not a fan of. I don't hate it, but it's definately weird. Not my thing at all. A sweet vinegar like topping/casing that is a little too "chippy" for my liking.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Sutliff 515 rc1
Just received an oz of this and glad I only ordered that much. It's definately got a funky aftertaste that I'm not a fan of. I don't hate it, but it's definately weird. Not my thing at all. A sweet vinegar like topping/casing that is a little too "chippy" for my liking.
I admit it can be overwhelming when fresh. For me, a few months in the jar mellowed this blend out to a good, not excellent, smoke.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I am just starting back smoking after a good number of years off. This break has allowed me to reset my tastebuds and enjoy some lighter strength blends. That includes 515RC, which I’ve been smoking lately.

I just bought a pound each of Sutliff 515 and 507-S Stoved Virginia. Mixed them together. It’s a really nice sweet smoke for me.

Then took out half and added an ounce of perique, so about 6% perique. I smoked a bowl of each today. I preferred the Original blend, and think I’ve lost my taste for perique.

I could age it. However, my recollection is that perique doesn’t really mellow with age.

If anyone wants a pound with perique at cost, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.