PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I recently picked up a hallmarked 1958 L&Co Standard Brazilian.

The first thing that I noticed was the Standard series stamping on the left shank. I had always thought this series was not introduced until in the civic era, roughly a decade later. Of note, I have seen another standard series Loewe for sale here with 1963 hallmarks.

However the real surprise for me was when I removed the stem to find a threaded metal tenon/stinger.

has anyone else seen a Loewe with this connection before?

im in process of trying to see if I can get it out of the shank but it is either glued or seized in place. The vulcanite stem has threads in it. Also, a pipe cleaner passes through the entire shank with ease which makes me assume that if there is any stinger it is like an inner tube rather than a ball etc.

The silver band appears to cap the end of the shank, unless the briar has bizarrely been routed out and the difference in thickness is just an illusion.

help? Lol

FB26B45B-7B61-4843-B596-9790FC7B9209.jpeg86484F16-F5B5-46C9-ADD4-ACF3C38FF113.jpeg4FE93DF9-411A-473A-8B80-37EAED334E0C.jpegD40EB817-557A-410B-9342-02DFB4958317.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I suspect that the stem was glued to those threads, and the entire piece should unscrew, Ala Kaywoodie pipes
Any tips for getting it out of the shank then? I’ve read about some people using heat to release the tenon, but I don’t feel comfortable doing that with a silver band in place.

so far I’ve used alcohol, both working it and soaking it. That didn’t get me any action, but cleaned it up nice. I’ve tried the freezer overnight but that didn’t work either.

also, as far as I can see, the tenon is going straight into a wooden mortise. I can’t see any metal in the shank

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is a very beautiful pipe! My instinct tells me that this is a doubly-threaded tenon, possibly a very early replacement or repair. It's possible to just make out the cuff of briar around the threaded tenon.
Yes the briar cuff/mortise is visible, which is what confused me as most, if not all the screw metal tenons I have played with have gone into a threaded metal mortise.

the replacement/repair/modification suggestion is pretty valid i guess considering this is not something associated with Loewe.

ive tried to show the threads in the stem - excuse the small amount of Teflon in there.

also a pic showing how the connection is slightly off, not sure if this is just from me trying to remove the tenon or if it came like that.

55E90C36-C148-4443-BCD7-5CAD1B88CC41.jpeg691E5E99-F183-4119-9BD7-C92A41787174.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a very beautiful pipe! My instinct tells me that this is a doubly-threaded tenon, possibly a very early replacement or repair. It's possible to just make out the cuff of briar around the threaded tenon.
Yep!
I’ve seen several several pipes of different manufacture with this same construction. I just assume it was some repairman’s approach to a tenon repair intended to survive eternity.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Good to know. I kinda feel better knowing it’s a repair…

in regards to the standard series grade stamping. Does anyone else have a late Haymarket/pre-civic example of this?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Indeed if it was an original fitment I would expect it to be carrying the L & co makers mark.
from what I can see it is D F ?

see here
DF into a rectangle mark, Dora Fresco, London c. 1900

DF into a rectangle
Dora Fresco
London c.1900 hallmark
See the section of "TOBACCONISTS, PIPE MAKERS, PIPE MOUNTERS"

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yes DF, the most common mounter I’ve found on 30s-60s loewes. But to be fair, most have come from NZ estate market so I’m not sure if that makes a difference in what I see.

L&Co on the band, and LH shank (above standard), Loewe London W on RH shank as per normal. Brazilian underneath.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Any tips for getting it out of the shank then? I’ve read about some people using heat to release the tenon, but I don’t feel comfortable doing that with a silver band in place.

so far I’ve used alcohol, both working it and soaking it. That didn’t get me any action, but cleaned it up nice. I’ve tried the freezer overnight but that didn’t work either.

also, as far as I can see, the tenon is going straight into a wooden mortise. I can’t see any metal in the shank
try a drop of two of a penetrating fluid, my go-to is PB Blaster

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yes DF, the most common mounter I’ve found on 30s-60s loewes. But to be fair, most have come from NZ estate market so I’m not sure if that makes a difference in what I see.

I haven't focused on Loewe hallmarks before but am a bit skeptical of the Dora Fresco attribution. It's certainly true that she had a hallmark registered in London on April 19th, 1893 but the notion that she was producing work for Loewe over a period of some sixty years seems implausible. Especially so since Dora changed her surname when she married Jacques van den Heuvel in 1895 and was busy being dead after February 3, 1925. Do you have examples of London DF hallmarks from the 1930s-60s that you could post? It would be interesting to compare them with the plate image available in Culme. Fresco's other (and possibly primary) occupation, by the way, seems to have been as a dealer in antique furniture along with her mother Sarah and sister Kate. Even that was only in the 1890s. Thanks, Jon

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Jon, just to clarify I’m not stating that DF is Dora Fresco, but that the DF mark is really common on this period of Loewe. Here’s a quick snap shot of what I have readily available now, there are more if I could digging

01E70C0E-3AB5-498A-9FCF-3C74D42D2B3B.jpeg

63351A86-F655-4C2E-9B01-35AE4C56D650.jpeg

E1A2EFB9-066B-4C05-AF64-46309ABF0DC4.jpeg8DAA150F-F9B8-4122-8905-1A599341DC44.jpeg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019

Don’t. Probably end up breaking the metal.