PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
If I'm ever lucky or quick enough to grab any, I'd do 1 8oz bag each. That'd give me a decent amount to get acquainted with, seeing as it would probably be a good span before I'd get another chance.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I bought a pound (actually it was one bag so 8 oz I guess) of Penzance about 18 months ago. I dole it out slowly, and have maybe two ounces left. Honestly, I didn't think ti would be QUITE so hard to get again -- it hadn't been in the past.
Next time I'd order two pounds bags, I guess.
Hoarding just seems dumb to me -- unless you are a diabetic and they tell you insulin will be in short supply. If I never get another ounce of Penzance, it won't affect my happiness even a little bit.

May 4, 2015
Depends on the price. If it were in 2oz tins for around $10 I'd buy one of each. I would never buy 8oz of something blind, though.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I'm still early in my tobacco journey so I'd just get a bit of each to try. If I liked it I'd add it to the future cellar list and if not I'm sure I could trade what was left to someone here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm good for the time being, but I like to share, so a lb or two of Stonehaven would be nice to have for that purpose. I don't smoke a lot of it, maybe a bowl or two a month, and find that I enjoy it much more.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I have never had either but had not had anythng from Germain/Esoterica that wasn't smokable. I would buy a few of each if they were at the smokingpipes price, which I think is fair for a good UK tobacco.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Maybe a bag of each. I haven't tried Stonehaven and have just tried Penzance for the first time, it's pretty good, no cartwheels or erections but a nice mellow smoke just the same. There are definitely others I would order first, I don't get the hype but it is something I would buy when available.

I love both, and I have a pound of each in stock, along with Peacehaven. However, when I got the email at 6pm, and it was all gone by the time the Briary opened the next morning, I was pretty pissed. I told him to double the price, because it was ridiculous to offer these at lower prices than even the regular stock of tobacco. I would gladly pay $30 for the tins and $80 for the bags. And, there are plenty of us who would pay. I know that may conjure up some resentment for me, but supply and demand. And, those of us who love these blends will pay. And, those who cannot afford... well, there's alway a Sutliff blend for them at $6 a tin (or paper container).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cosmic is onto something. Germains should up their wholesale to $40 per 8 oz bag. They're doing the work, occasionally, so why should middlemen get the booty?
With mark up, the bags should hit about $120 a bag.
Some hoarders will sell their stock, while other hoarders will be priced out, the losers. That means that more people will be able to enjoy this object of intense yearning, bringing fulfillment to their lives.
At these prices there will be a reasonable incentive for a talented blender to develop a "match", putting even more of this crack stuff into the marketplace at a lower cost. Those failures who are too poor to afford the originals will have an option to find alternatives to match their miserable economic status, thus becoming the target market for match blends.
Seems to me to be an ideal solution!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Are we talking standard MSRP? Or the "we got it, you want it" price? Because with the former I'd get a bag or two of each and call it a day. With the latter I'd just stay here and watch the show.

Match blends sounds good to me. But, I can see the controversy of those who try the match blends and don't like it will always be rebuked with, "you didn't try the original."
As it is now, with Esoterica's being cheaper than everything else in the store, short of some bulk blends, the first person to call after the emails go out, can just buy up the whole lot and turn a profit online. The store loses the mark-up, less people get to try these blends, and the only sources for your layman to try these blends is at an online resale premium. Besides, there really isn't an expensive tobacco out there. There are way more single sticks of cigars that way out price any tins on the shelf. It would seem that having one available on the shelf because less people would pay the premium price would be the best way to reach out to more people, with less hoarders and re-salers buying out the whole lot everytime it becomes available.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've not had Stonehaven yet, but I have a bag of Penzance and that will probably last me....forever. Now Tilbury I might take a bag or three.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
If I could buy as much as I wanted and then after that the supply returned to the way it has been, I would buy 10 lbs of Stonehaven. If Stonehaven were in stock and I could buy it whenever I wanted I would just keep an 8oz bag open at all times and re-order when I had a 1/4 or so left.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In case anyone's curious, the count, on the high end, is at..... drumroll.....
Stonehaven 65 bags

Penzance 40 bags
I find this interesting. I hadn't expected Stonehaven to be so far ahead. Thanks everyone!! That was interesting!

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
Yeah that's why specified for personal use, not as pipeworld currency ;) our equivalent of the Bitcoin, the PipeCoin
PipeCoin... yeah, the stuff is like that to some! Good analogy! Yes, we will always have the profiteers amongst us.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Maybe another pound or two of Penzance just to be sure I'm covered. I think I have 2 lbs in the cellar right now. I've never tried Stonehaven, so I'm not 100% sure about that. I'd be tempted to buy a couple of pounds just in case I liked it. If worse came to worse I could always trade it.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Here's the only true and honest answer I can give.

Two pounds of each.

Then two more pounds.

Then two more pounds.

Then two more pounds.

Then two more pounds.

Then two more pounds.

Then two more pounds........
Plugugly

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I'd buy one bag of Penzance, since it's such a special treat for me, and I'm still running halfway through the bag I bought about 18 months ago. No Stonehaven, I find it not exactly to my liking, plus it is a royal PITA to prepare ( akin to FVF ).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No Stonehaven, I find it not exactly to my liking, plus it is a royal PITA to prepare ( akin to FVF ).
Too true. Since I only smoke outdoors, I can't rely on sitting in a cloud of smoke to deliver the flavor. I have to rely on what I pull from the bowl and retrohale. So prep is a bit more critical than indoor smoking.

P

pipebuddy

I don't know about quantities, but what I can't wrap my head around is why Stonehaven and Penzance are so scarcely produced when the rest of Esoterica's offerings are available fairly regularly.
But, were I to be able to get some Stonehaven, I would grab 4 bags for sure. And maybe 2, no more, of Penzance.

Status
Not open for further replies.