PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I have a similar palate (nothing beats black coffee with something like GLP Quiet Nights). Still, need something for this time of year. Been smoking a lot of burley lately, I just can't do English blends in this summer heat we have here (regularly air temp is 92-98°F with humidity north of 45%, making the heat index usually 100-118°F).

Still, set myself an alarm for the SP release so I don't forget. I do like a VA on occasion, never had any of the previous Sun Bear, but I have had and liked Tupelo honey. I was actually interested in last year's blend, but found out about it too late.
I could probably do Tupelo. I've decided that if @JimInks doesn't mention tequila, I might grab a tin.

I keep my lat bombs in the jar this time of year as well, but as an English fan I've really enjoyed H&H's Sunjammer. It has a touch of latakia, but it's no Nightcap or Gaslight by any means.

My go-to for this heat and humidity is usually black cavendish. I'm not a Virginia superfan, but TCS's Green Dragon is superb as well.

Edit: Just scrolled up and saw Jim's review. Y'all enjoy.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I haven't smoked Sun Bear in a long time, but I have a few tins of I think the 2021 and the 2022 Sun Bear. I thought the 2021 was good, and had a bit of a graham-cracker taste. But I tried a tin of that after it had aged for about a year, and the flavor from the honey SEEMED to be much less than when fresh.

I know this is probably pretty obvious, but have others aged Sun Bear and also found the flavor to have decreased with time? How was it after a few years? I don't buy many aromatics or tobaccos with noticeable added toppings or casings (I never understood the difference between toppings and casings), but I know the conventional wisdom is that those tobaccos don't age particularly well, but I was still hoping aging this stuff might yield good results. Is this bear climbing up the wrong tree?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
You pose a good question. I personally don't view Sun Bear as an aromatic but more of a Virginia/Oriental. In regard to aging potential, how well do Va/Or mixtures normally age? In regard to the addition of honey to a Va/Or, Bijou is similar, and Jeremy Reeves feels that additional aging time will benefit that blend. Having only smoked SunBear 2022 fresh, while a nice smoke, I feel like there are a few rough edges that may be softened with some age. I suppose only time will tell.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
@Jeremiah Johnson - I don't know about super long term, but I have found some aros to really hit a sweet spot after a few years, as long as they have been properly stored and are made with high quality tobacco. C&D John Marr and Autumn evening fit this category for me -- I was previously 'meh' on Autumn Evening, but I revisited a 3 year old batch and the red Va's in it have really gone in a great direction.