PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
The 2022 Sun Bear was $12.11 per tin at SP, so $.20 - $.50 more than regular production C&D tins. That’s not exactly “…a very high price…” in relative terms.
And sun bear fits the "small batch" name more than the others. The "limited" aspect is the honey involved/where it's harvested from. Definitely a worthwhile smoke every release so far.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I asked Jeremy about 8 State Burley this year at the muletown pipe show (not releasing this year). But if I recall correctly, Jeremy mentioned that a sun bear would release this year.

Sad to hear about 8 state - that’s a nice blend.

Thanks for the insights folks! Looking forward to trying the next iteration of Sun Bear …I love Va/Or blends, this one hits a sweet spot for me.

Smoking some Black Locust at present :)

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
What about Samuel Gawith Brown Sugar Flake, does anyone know how many releases there has been, and when the next one will be? It's the only SG blend not available here in the UK, for some reason or other.

Reactions: kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Of course the timing of this thread was designed so that there would be a heightened interest in getting Sun Bear so that scoopers could scoop it up and then resell it at a higher price.

Thanks.... for nothing.

You're right - I was actually hired by Laudisi to start this post; they want to make sure you don't get any Sun Bear this year as well as try some new, guerilla marketing tactics - you are welcome! lol

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
What about Samuel Gawith Brown Sugar Flake, does anyone know how many releases there has been, and when the next one will be? It's the only SG blend not available here in the UK, for some reason or other.
In Europe anyone can get it from the Danish Pipe Shop, but they won't ship to the US anymore. The last US special release was this April. No idea if/when we'll see it here again.

• Sad
Reactions: sardonicus87

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
In Europe anyone can get it from the Danish Pipe Shop, but they won't ship to the US anymore. The last US special release was this April. No idea if/when we'll see it here again.

Thank you, but alas, they don't send to any address outside Denmark :(

Reactions: ron123

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
What's it like? Is it similar to any other C&D blends? I've never been able to snatch a tin and I am a bit skeptical of the honey.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
What's it like? Is it similar to any other C&D blends? I've never been able to snatch a tin and I am a bit skeptical of the honey.
Maybe somewhat similar to C&D Bijou. Basically a jazzed up Va/Oriental. You have the interplay between the Virginias and Orientals with the honey adding a slight and subtle sweetness helping to round things out. I quite enjoy it as an occasional smoke. Check out Jiminks review for a more definitive analysis.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’ve only had the first version and it’s closer to an aromatic than anything else. There is almost a cloying sweetness too me and a slight clashing of flavors. I could hardly finish the tin but I’m hoping that the flavoring in my other tin will mellow with age. A lot of people really liked it so I’m probably an anomaly.