PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I must admit that I am having a hard time telling the different between a heavy perrique blend (Haddo) and an apparently heavy Oriental blend (Cairo). I like both very much. I currently have a can of each open. The Cairo is from 2002 and the Haddo is from 2009.
Cairo has a similar light fruity tang as Haddo.

Haddo seems to skew towards a peppery-plum flavor over top of the Va's. Deeper flavors, more bass notes.

Cairo is more like a orange-grapefruit salad over top Va's . Mostly high notes, not much bottom end.
(Sorry I am a cook and a musician so I describe things in odd ways lol )
Can anyone describe what an oriental should taste like?

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Can anyone describe what an oriental should taste like?
Not like Perique, that's for sure. Orientals often have incense-like, slightly floral, herbal flavors. At least they should in my world! McClelland's Orientals did, but I find the ones C&D uses to be cigarette-like, similar to Camels which use Turkish tobacco.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Thank you for all the great suggestions.

While I’m not looking to dive headlong back into smoking, I do feel the want to explore some of the orientals.

Years back I had some of what Craig referred to as an Oriental or Turkish Basma.

It started rather grassy, but left alone on a jar for about 1.5 years it took on the most luscious floral aspect.

It was fantastic for blending. That jar was long gone a decade ago. Memories of it drift into my thoughts now and then.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks Cortez. I am sitting around delayed while traveling and read the whole book. You saved me much boredom.
“Most pipe smokers are a very strange breed unto themselves for they are continually seeking a pipe tobacco mixture that is unknown to any other man on Earth. “ page 41.
So True! And that is from 1970. Before Cellaring became popular/necessary.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks Lazar. I have some aged McC Orientals in the cellar, but haven't walked down that road yet. Have been enjoying getting to know Burleys for the past few months. Just never sat down and tried Orientals to discern the nuance between the variety's.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Years back I had some of what Craig referred to as an Oriental or Turkish Basma.

It started rather grassy, but left alone on a jar for about 1.5 years it took on the most luscious floral aspect.
Last time I checked, Whole Leaf Tobacco still had Basma Whole Leaf for sale. The owner said when it's gone.. its gone.
Edit: here's the link. Only 8 pounds left

https://wholeleaftobacco.com/Turkish-Basma-TRKSHBSM.htm

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
G. L. Pease Embarcadero is pretty good, also subject to Deeming regulations so if you have tried and like that one, might wanna snag some before it possibly disappears

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
rmpeeps, Currenly I have been smoking John Patton Crossroads. A blend of three varieties of Virginia tobacco Turkish Izmir and just small ammout of cirgar leaf. you might want to try it also. I got mine from "Four-Noggins"

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I’ve sourced s couple of blends and a couple of straight Oriental leafs.

Looking forward to some experimentation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From time to time I urge my fellow pipe smokers to buy American. In addition to Pease and C+D, we have Std Tobacco of PA; Hearth and Home; Seattle Pipe Club; Wilke, and Kramer, off the top of my head. Tobacco blends every bit as good as any from across the sea, and often better.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
jpmcwjr-

I agree wholeheartedly. Over the years the largest portions of my buying/smoking were USA houses. McClelland, PCCA, C&D, GLP, and the obligatory British G&H and SG. Sure there are others, but the bulk was in those blending houses.
What I’ve got coming is Regent Flake, Temple Bar, Embarcadero, some C&D Turkish Ismir, Orcilla Mixture, and a couple of individual Oriental leafs. The majority of these are coming as samples from a very helpful member. While I’m not looking to dive headlong back into the habit, I do appreciate the hobby.

The differences in Orientals is something I never really explored.

Looking forward to the next month.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
GLP Regents Flake is fantastic. His Temple Bar is the same blend, just in a plug.
John Patton blends? Here's a guy who smoked nothing but Carter Hall (in nothing but corncobs) for 50 years then joins a pipe forum, plays with some bulk tobacco then out of the blue some folks thinks he's a master blender. Say what ?

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A big thumbs up the the following:

dottiewarden & smittyb
BIJOU from C&D is the stuff!

First light and yeeeessssss...!

The red VA with a bit of oriental leaf reminds me a bit of Bob Hamlin’s PCCA Boston 1776.

Still young, but this has great quality leaf and is going to be a show-stopper down the road.

Also dug into a sample of Regents Flake. It’s very good, but Bijou tipped the scale a bit better for my tastes.

Thanks y’all.

Status
Not open for further replies.