PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Please use standard English, and no all bolded,

only way is to vent it out. Do you have a vent fan over your stove? If I smoke upstairs I turn it on and smoke by it. Takes the smoke right outside.
This.

I go into the kitchen, put a fan in the window pointed outward, and smoke near it.

My gf really dislikes the smell of tobacco smoke. She works outdoors all day at her job and I work remotely here at home. I smoke 1-2 bowls per day in the kitchen, sometimes more, and she has never once said a thing. I've been doing this for months.

The kitchen is a great place to do this because there is very little cloth. It's all hard surfaces that the smoke doesn't get into. Plus there is constantly strong smells of cooking smoke, food, spices, etc in the kitchen, great smokescreen.

CONS: it's bloody cold in the winter, and I can't relax and watch a movie or anything, but sometimes I bring my laptop in there for company (YouTube etc).

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I just smoke outside. But I do have to say my pipe smoking has gone down in frequency since weather has turned cold.

Exactly. Everyone is different, but personally I cannot enjoy a pipe properly outdoors in the actual winter (cold, windy). My smoke of choice is aged VA, and it's pointless to try to fully enjoy such delicate/nuanced smoke in such an environment. Too often I also find myself trying to hurry up and finish, and that's no way to smoke. Especially considering how much time and/or money it costs us for proper aged VAs.

I'll still do it sometimes, but I'll generally grab a blend I'm just going to power through, like some Old Joe Krantz or something, and one of my lesser pipes. Something to do, but not something I'm overly excited about.

I'm in Oakland now and it's in the mid-high 30s at night, which isn't terrible. But when I first started smoking a pipe I lived in Chicago proper, and smoking outdoors there when it's well below freezing is the dumbest waste of time.

Reactions: BROBS

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I understand you don't want ozone units but this is what I do. When smoking inside I am in a closed room with the (ozone) purifier on but with the ozone function off. When done I turn on the ozone function for about 30 min and leave the room (locked). Then I stop the purifier and I put a window two blade fan blowing air in for about 30 min and then in exchange mode (one blade blowing in and one blade blowing out) for a couple of hours. Being in southern California I can do so also in the winter and there is no detectable smoke smell at all.
I use an ozone machine in my truck and in my man cave about once a month. Works great! Just can’t be in there till you air out the ozone.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
@Johnny_Pipecleaner : Chicago! I would be more worried about dodging the gunfire than the weather! No wonder you headed to CA. How's that super fancy pipe you got doing? I keep looking at those. I wish he made 'cutty' version. Happy Xmas.
Oh come now, there's gunfire everywhere in America.

My Rubio is great, thanks for asking. Happy Christmas to you too, bud :)

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Dads,

Smoke a pipe whenever spending quality time with your daughters. This will create positive associations so that when your future sons-in-law get into pipe smoking (at your instigation), they'll have wives who are delighted for them to smoke in the house.
Perfect example of tactics versus strategy. ?
Tactics: win or lose a battle or two.
Strategy: win or lose a few battles but still win the war.

• Haha
Reactions: Gavrin and SBC

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I use an ozone machine in my truck and in my man cave about once a month. Works great! Just can’t be in there till you air out the ozone.
Question: When you use your ozone machine in your man cave, does that room have an air vent and if so do you tape it off while the ozone machine is running? or ?

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
I bought the IQAir HealthPro Plus air purifier a few years ago for about $1k. Did not take 100% away and immediately had to go outside again.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Well, that's news! Please provide a cite or two- with URL. I sure hope that's right!
There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but my understanding is that the catylitic burning of isopropyl results in ozone.

I’ll do a more thorough search at a computer and get back to you. I’m debating whether to get the lampe or just a generator.

Wish I could find the square footage covered by a lampe Berger…

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost
I have two Coway's in my office where I smoke and they do a decent job. I have them set on auto and shortly after i light up they kick on high once they sense smoke in the air. They are hepa with a carbon prefilter and ionizers not ozonizers. I open a window as well and use a space heater when it is cold. There is very little lingering room note and you can't smell smoke anywhere in the house as long as I keep the office door closed. https://www.amazon.com/Coway-AP-151...eywords=coway+ap-1512hh&qid=1648829072&sr=8-4

Note - I have hardwood floors in my office so there is no carpeting to soak up smells. Honestly, carpeting is the worst thing one can have in a house for retention of odors and filth. The only carpet we have is in two spare bedrooms and I want to replace that with wood eventually

Reactions: jpmcwjr

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but my understanding is that the catylitic burning of isopropyl results in ozone.

I’ll do a more thorough search at a computer and get back to you. I’m debating whether to get the lampe or just a generator.

Wish I could find the square footage covered by a lampe Berger…
One plus for ozone machine is you can use it your car. I place it in my car and run for about 30 minutes if I know others are going to ride with me. Car people have been doing this for years on used cars.