PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Title edited for caps and brevity. Rule 9- Portion removed:

"for infrequent inside smoking"

I moved this to its own thread. Realizing that smoking inside is going to have some residual smells left I am hoping to "slow" that build up as much as possible. As I am getting older I find winter is feeling colder to me so was considering smoking inside this winter. I only smoke 1-3 bowls a week. I am looking for suggestions for a purifier (no ozone) that will eliminate (as much as possible) pipe smoke and odor in a small room. For those of you that use them how effective have you found it to be and which one do you use? (I searched these forums but all that comes up are either pipe filters or topics not addressing this as specifically as I would like. If there is a thread out there I would like to know the title so I can look it up!) Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 25, 2021
England
Thing is smoke gets attached onto surfaces, especially fabrics.
No air purifier can deal with that.
I sometimes go round my lounge where I smoke with a large hand-held fan and fan all the surfaces, making sure that I get behind pictures on the wall and behind cupboards etc.
It does make a difference, but the smell will not go entirely.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Thing is smoke gets attached onto surfaces, especially fabrics.
No air purifier can deal with that.
I sometimes go round my lounge where I smoke with a large hand-held fan and fan all the surfaces, making sure that I get behind pictures on the wall and behind cupboards etc.
It does make a difference, but the smell will not go entirely.

In other words, your just blowing smoke. ??

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a Rabbit Air MinusA2, and it does a fantastic job. In my home office, the square footage allows for the air purifier to do better than four air changes/hr. There may be some residual smoky smell (very little), but even if you have an exhaust fan you are going to have that, unless the whole side of the room is an exhaust fan, like a wind tunnel.

Perhaps she just doesn't want you smoking in the house...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My wife used to bitch about my smoking soon after we got married. I ignored her. She used to complain in front of her fashion PC friends about my smoking. I responded by giving live demonstrations of my pyro-flatulence skills. They stopped coming over to the house. My wife stopped complaining about my smoking. Problem solved!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Rabbit Air owner here. It does help but you can still smell it if you haven't been in the house for a while.

I suggest smoking cannabis in the house and suddenly the wife won't smell pipe tobacco anymore.

"You smoking weed again?!?!?!"

No honey, just cleaning an old pipe I got off ebay. The previous user must have smoked cannabis with it. :)

"Good heavens that stuff smells terrible, I would rather smell a pipe!"

OK, if you insist......

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Short of a commercial smoke eater, you're not going to get perfect. Maybe 90% but there's still going to be at least a slight smoke smell to a non smoker.
I want any recommendations including commercial. So if you know of any toss their name out. I know they will be pricey.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I understand you don't want ozone units but this is what I do. When smoking inside I am in a closed room with the (ozone) purifier on but with the ozone function off. When done I turn on the ozone function for about 30 min and leave the room (locked). Then I stop the purifier and I put a window two blade fan blowing air in for about 30 min and then in exchange mode (one blade blowing in and one blade blowing out) for a couple of hours. Being in southern California I can do so also in the winter and there is no detectable smoke smell at all.

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
Members of my household are sensitive to smoke and perfumes, so I keep my home as neutral as practical. I’d need a way to effectively move all smoke out, or else particles and resins would stick to surfaces. Therefore I only smoke outside.