PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
And let me be clear I’m talking about the originals.

Leisure_Suit_Larry_1_-_Land_of_the_Lounge_Lizards_1987_screenshot.gif

Ken sent me

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have no idea about modern computer games. One of my wife's students said that Star Wars Battlefront was free to download, but the platform/engine it is on is complicated to use.

Honestly, Civilization II and Master Of Orion 2 might be my all time favs

You might like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. It's older but cheap on steam. It's built on Age of Empire engine.

Aug 1, 2012
I've been playing Skyrim for the last month or so. It is an action RPG though, so not very strategic.

One of my favorite games of all time.... Is Stardew Valley. I cannot stress enough just how satisfying and addictive I found it. I must have sunk 500 hours or more into various playthroughs. Just a delight.
+1 for Stardew Valley. It's stupidly addictive and there are so many options and paths you can take.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've been playing Skyrim for the last month or so. It is an action RPG though, so not very strategic.

One of my favorite games of all time.... Is Stardew Valley. I cannot stress enough just how satisfying and addictive I found it. I must have sunk 500 hours or more into various playthroughs. Just a delight.

That's how I felt about playing the original Starseige Tribes. Just an amazing game. At one point I was the number 1 ranked player in the world. When I told my wife, her response was "Wow, what a tremendous waste of time!" Women, they just don't understand the importance of futuristic simulated first person computer battles with jetpacks and Spinfusors.

Mar 1, 2014
If you're a fan of sci-fi then Mass Effect is required playing.
Luckily the original trilogy is getting a remastered version this year, so that should be good (the most recent game in the series was a huge letdown, but given that the new release is just the first trilogy with a fresh coat of paint it should be the same great games we had a decade ago).
Mass Effect is an action/RPG trilogy made by Bioware from 2007-2012.
Maybe you're familiar with Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, those people made Mass Effect.

If you're at all a fan of Game of Thrones you're probably going to want to play "The Witcher" series of games (or maybe you've seen the Netflix show of the same name).
The first two games are much more RPG heavy than the third, so of course the third game is much more popular, but the whole series is very well done.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm looking for a PC game, something epic and binge worthy to waste the weekend on. Im more interested in something strategic and fun rather than just dazzling graphics and what not. I haven't played computer games in the last 15 years. Back then WOW was the thing and I played it a good bit. It was alot of grinding though and got boring. I believe I also played Rome Total War and one of the Sid Meier Civilization games and they were interesting.

What are all the nerds playing these days?
I went through the same thing with WOW about six or seven years ago and quit after I ran through the Pandaria expansion. One of my sons convinced me to try it out again in December so I bought the latest expansion - Shadowlands - and started playing it again.

I find the new storylines and some of the other changes they've made to be interesting enough that I've sat at the computer playing and three hours will pass very quickly. You also get to go back and play in the previous expansion storylines.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I wish I could get the original Total War XL to work. Someone took the Total War game, made a MOD so that all historical factions were playable in the game. Can't get it to run on my new PC even in retro mode.

Currently playing Pathfinder Kingmaker.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Depends on your PC specs, and what platform you're buying from. As a mostly Steam user, the Holiday Sale ended a couple weeks ago and it's been looking rather grim for pricing. I would never buy a PC game at full price. I just built myself a new PC and bought about 5 games during the sale. Working through Yakuza Like a Dragon right now.

Reactions: Worknman

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I wish I could get the original Total War XL to work. Someone took the Total War game, made a MOD so that all historical factions were playable in the game. Can't get it to run on my new PC even in retro mode.

Currently playing Pathfinder Kingmaker.
Create a new partition and install an older version of Windows on it.

Reactions: Worknman
Status
Not open for further replies.