Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I'm looking for a PC game, something epic and binge worthy to waste the weekend on. Im more interested in something strategic and fun rather than just dazzling graphics and what not. I haven't played computer games in the last 15 years. Back then WOW was the thing and I played it a good bit. It was alot of grinding though and got boring. I believe I also played Rome Total War and one of the Sid Meier Civilization games and they were interesting.

What are all the nerds playing these days?

Reactions: BROBS

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The Long Dark is pretty amazing, binge worthy and immersive. As far as getting lost in a game...well, the whole point of the game is that you’re lost more or less.

The premise is that some type of strange disaster happened while you were flying a plane, bringing you down on a sparsely populated island in Canada. Everyone is dead, it’s freezing cold and you have to survive. The sandbox mode is just straight survival and in my opinion is the best part of the game. The cold might kill you, wolves or bears might kill you, or starving/thirst, or you might break a leg in a blizzard and crawl to a shed with enough time to start a tiny fire and keep yourself alive for a few hours until daylight. It’s awesome.

It’s like playing a novel in real time.

Reactions: Worknman

PiperCubAK

Lurker
Jan 19, 2021
First post!

Long dark is great but very grindy. You really have to make hard decisions and it can be stressful.

I recommend Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, or Skyrim. All 3 are excellent games and you can really immerse yourself in the world and the lore/universe of the game.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Another vote for the Portal series. Still working on the second one.

If you want something strategic, I highly recommend the Blitzkrieg Anthology. It's by now an 'oldie', but it's super immersive and fun. And at that price it's a no brainier.

I'm mostly playing oldies by now, what with newer games full of all kinds of satanic shit, the old wine is best.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Oldies but goodies should include the first two Thief games. Creepy, cool steam-punk/medieval universe, sneaking and looting. Thief II is my favorite of the series.

Banished is also pretty neat. City/society/economy building with 400 million free mods for download.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Another vote for the Portal series. Still working on the second one.

If you want something strategic, I highly recommend the Blitzkrieg Anthology. It's by now an 'oldie', but it's super immersive and fun. And at that price it's a no brainier.

I'm mostly playing oldies by now, what with newer games full of all kinds of satanic shit, the old wine is best.
I vaguely remember an old sega game I played as a kid that was called Blitzkreig. It was a really good strategic war game.

Reactions: danimalia

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I’ve been playing hades. It’s a rouge lite style game. I got about 35 hours or so into it.

Reactions: Worknman

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I can recommend Oblivion, the Elder Scrolls game that came before Skyrim. The graphics aren’t impeccable, but, as a game I greatly prefer it to Skyrim. +1 Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, though, I’d play Vegas first.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Leisuresuit Larry
Lemmings
The Zork Series
And let me be clear I’m talking about the originals.

Leisure_Suit_Larry_1_-_Land_of_the_Lounge_Lizards_1987_screenshot.gif

Lemmings-BoxScan.jpg

BookReaderImages.php

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I'm looking for a PC game, something epic and binge worthy to waste the weekend on. Im more interested in something strategic and fun rather than just dazzling graphics and what not. I haven't played computer games in the last 15 years. Back then WOW was the thing and I played it a good bit. It was alot of grinding though and got boring. I believe I also played Rome Total War and one of the Sid Meier Civilization games and they were interesting.

What are all the nerds playing these days?

There is no better game to get lost in than Dwarf Fortress. What it lacks in graphic excitement is more than made up for by excellent game play. Best of all, it is free!

Check it out here: Dwarf Fortress

Cheers,

Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.