C&D Mocha
Solani Tropical Mango Flake
Solani Sweet Mystery X
CAO Elieen's Dream

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
To me, aromatic is at best a vague term so I'll list some stuff I really like that has noticeable flavors in addition to/other than what you could expect from the tobacco itself.

Fruity:

Dan Tobacco: Devil's Holiday
Rattray's: Exotic Passion

Chocolatey:

GH&C: Bob's Chocolate Flake
GH&C: Scotch Flake
GH&C: Louisiana Flake

Sweet/Vanilla:

GH&C: American Delight
Dan Tobacco: Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Sutliff: Sweet Virginia
Capstan: Gold Flake

Rum:

Sutliff: Spiced Rum
Dan Tobacco: Salty Dogs
C&D: Black Frigate

Please note not all of these are considered aromatics but you can tell the flavor/influence of the group I listed them under.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
LJ Peretti Cuban Mixture
Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, Exotic Passion, and Buckingham
Gawith Hoggarth New Prince (EU only)
HU Makhuwa
Comoy's Cask 2 Portwood

Reactions: PipeDad33

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Orlik’s Racing Green is pretty decent, smooth and fruity, not cloying, and easy to deal with. I can’t stand aromatic blends, so, for whatever it’s worth, this is the only recommendation I can give.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may be an acquired taste, and it certainly benefits from a year or so aging, but Iwan Ries Three Star Blue can win your heart. The first pouch was a little harsh and not that pleasing, but I did order another some months later and let it sit. The second round was surprising and excellent, one of the best balanced aromatics and not harsh. It's a blend you may have to get to know. Another one you have to get to know is Royal Yacht, though that one required only a second bowl; it's a classic.

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Wow, I never would have thought that aromatic thread would have gotten so many suggestions. Maybe I was wrong about the dislike here. Now I need to do so more research and figure out which ones to try.

Thank you all so much.

Reactions: shanez and Cotton1

PiperCubAK

Lurker
Jan 19, 2021
As someone who hasn't liked almost any aromatic I've tried (GLP Virginia Cream, Macbaren Vanilla Roll Cake & some other OTC), I can only suggest one and my favorite:

Cult Conspiracy

IDK why but something about the very slight trace of Latakia and the honey topping both come through beautifully and the flavors are not at all muddled or hard to pick out like most aromatics I've tried.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Wow, I never would have thought that aromatic thread would have gotten so many suggestions. Maybe I was wrong about the dislike here. Now I need to do so more research and figure out which ones to try.

Thank you all so much.
I always kinda laugh a little when people talk about aromatics. Everything seems to have all sorts of casings, toppings, etc. that it's actually hard to tell what's what. Some of these things are just sugar or other things that don't put them in the "aromatic" category but they're not unadulterated tobacco either.

I do understand not liking goopy PG soaked blends though and after re-reading your initial post I realized the Sutliff Spiced Rum I mentioned fits that description. I still like it though.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
If you like MacB's Old Dark Fired, and you like pineapples on your BBQ, you'll probably enjoy Solani's Tropical Mango Fl
I am a huge MB Old Dark Fired guy. No fruit on the BBQ please. Not sure what the two have in common. Please explain.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
I know from the month I have been here that most people don't like aromatic tobaccos. Now with that out of the way please suggest or name a few of your favorite aromatics that are not completely soaked in PG.

Thank you all in advance.
Nothing wrong with Aromatics, smoke away. Captain Black regular is a huge favorite among many. Also the Mac Baren 7seas lineup is good. You have time to try them all. It's fun to order a new tobacco sample or two every time you restock. This is a marathon enjoy it.

Reactions: PipeDad33
Jun 23, 2019
I am a huge MB Old Dark Fired guy. No fruit on the BBQ please. Not sure what the two have in common. Please explain.

MAN A: If you're tall, and you're yellow, you might be Big Bird.

MAN B: What does being yellow have to do with being tall?!?!? Durrrp

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
I always kinda laugh a little when people talk about aromatics. Everything seems to have all sorts of casings, toppings, etc. that it's actually hard to tell what's what. Some of these things are just sugar or other things that don't put them in the "aromatic" category but they're not unadulterated tobacco either.

I do understand not liking goopy PG soaked blends though and after re-reading your initial post I realized the Sutliff Spiced Rum I mentioned fits that description. I still like it though.
I just haven't much luck getting past the "chemical" taste in the PG soaked ones. I did like the Sutliff Vanilla Custard I tried though. It seemed a little less noticeable.

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Nothing wrong with Aromatics, smoke away. Captain Black regular is a huge favorite among many. Also the Mac Baren 7seas lineup is good. You have time to try them all. It's fun to order a new tobacco sample or two every time you restock. This is a marathon enjoy it.
I have been eyeballing the 7 seas lineup for about the last week now.

Reactions: dcon and anotherbob

Thank you all so much.
That's because there are some REALLY BAD Aromatics out there and they seem to get a lot of press.

There are some really good ones out there and a lot of them mentioned above (however, there are also some mentioned above that don't classify as aromatics).

Here a few that I didn't see mentioned that are worth mentioning:
  • Watch City Deluxe Crumb cut - Do I smell Cookie dough? well definitely molasses
  • KBV Burley (Burlier, if you like it a little stronger) morning Pipe - Great with black coffee
  • Country Squire Parson's Blend - Like sitting down by a fire with a classic novel
  • Watch City Stubb's Pipe - An edgy burley with a Rum topping on this one
  • L.J. Peretti Thanksgiving Day (released on November 1st every year and sells out quickly but WORTH marking your calendar for) - So good I buy enough to keep in rotation for those times you just gotta a bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.