PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I couldn’t edit my post, but as others have suggested, you should check out Vincent Manil’s blends, he also grows and blends his Tobacco, one of the very few, a real Artisan!

Yep, big fan of the semois!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
In Semois, I like medium and thick cut best, which are only the burley variant, not a blend. Petit Robin is a very good shag cut, but is a blend, I believe.
I smoked a bowl of the medium cut after lunch. The stuff is great. Good for a quick smoke. I pack it really tight and poof gone in no time. I'm thinking of packing it with a punch and a hammer next time...lol

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
C&D are masters of burley without question. I can't recommend LJ Peretti for burley, as I have not tried them, but they do offer them. I will say that what I do smoke from them is top notch so I think you may want to look into it. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I bet you'll get around to it.
Ah, I do admire an optimist.

Ordering Carter Hall was a no brainer when I was looking for a decent tobacco with limited funds when I was ordering what I could before the iron curtain of governmental overstep was brought down, [Back then I tried to make an order once a week]

Now that the stakes are higher and it's much harder to get orders past the border, when I order a pound of tobacco I give my selection much thought before dropping the hammer.
Not that I'm looking for unobtainium or anything fancy, just decent mild blends like Butternut Burley, Early Morning Pipe Match, Count Pulaski and MB Vanilla Cream Flake for example. [My last four orders]

Getting tobacco to my door is now much harder. There's hundreds of blends that are higher on my list than OTC blends like PA.
The only way I'll get to try a blend like Prince Alfred is if I win lotto. I'll come to the U.S., get an RV and hit the ground running like a kid in a lolly shop.

The Iwan Ries shop would be one of my first stops for tobacco. [Chicago, hmmm *scratches head* . . . will I need to visit a gun store first? :LOL: ] Then there's Peretti . . . . shit, it better be a big RV with a lot of storage space.
And yes, there'll probably be a pouch of Prince Albert amongst my stash, just so I'll be able to say that I've tried the perennial blend. And I can imagine saying when asked ''Prince Albert? Yeah, it'll do in a pinch.'' :)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
@chopper once the travel restrictions are lifted just pop over the ditch for the weekend. Bring 50g worth of samples and we can share a few bowls. Got some PA here (amongst other things haha)
G'day Kiwi. Thank you, that's a kind offer.

I've always wanted to visit the Land of the Long White Cloud, the South Island in particular but I'm really concerned for you guys since you 'voted'* for that shemale puppet of the ...... oops, better not get political here but I'm hoping that you get my drift.

These er . . . let's call them 'not so nice people with a global agenda', have had the taste of totally controlling our every move and they wont give that up without a struggle. *sigh* I'd have nightmares of being stuck at Auckland International, surrounded by men with bullet proof vests and automatic weapons. :eek:

If you ever find yourself in Sydney then please let me know. I'll take you on my standard tour of Sydney [The Harbour and it's shores, The Rocks, Manly beach . . . ] and I'll bring a heap of different blends. I'm an inhaler so I smoke mild, mild to medium blends with mild nicotine and have something from many genres, semi-aro's and non-aro's alike. Make a day of it.

You probably know this already but just in case . . . Kiwi's are permitted to order whole leaf tobacco, up to $400nzd IIRC. You simply declare it and pay for heat treatment [which if anything, probably improves the leaf, lol] and Bob's your uncle. There's no tax or duty on loose leaf tobacco according to other Kiwi's I've spoken to on-line.
In your position I'd be buying as much as possible before they close that door and leave it to age until you really need it.

One gets quite a bit of leaf for $400. What really surprised me is that those who make their own blends from homegrown or loose leaf say it's far superior to commercial blends.
Go to www.fairtradetobacco.com forum where you can find loose leaf for sale. Like here, the members are really helpful.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Carter Hall
Prince Albert
Sir Walter Raleigh
Granger
Sutliff Ready Rubbed
MacBaren HH Burley Flake, Symphony, Golden
Peretti 33, 333, and 102
Uhles Perfection Plug and 00
Wessex Burley Slices