Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I am currently doing an all Virginia phase, purposefully, to acclimate my palate more clearly to them, especially the unadulterated stuff like CRF and the whole leaf offerings currently available. However, I love Burleys and I want to line up some new Burley blends for after my VA run. What would you all suggest? I've greatly enjoyed C&D Burley Flakes #1, #2, #3 (haven't tried the others), C&D Big n' Burley, OJK original, D&R Picayune and Two Timer, Semois, Five Brothers, and have custom blended some decent Burley blends using C&D burleys. I am not closed to more flavored blends, with H&H Classic Burley Kake being a bit too flavored for me (though I do still enjoy it during the holidays around family for their benefit). What would you all suggest?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've hit some highlights. There are many. You might also try C&D Tuggle Hall and their Stratfordshire. I've recently discovered Peterson Irish Flake that is burley based and awfully good. For me, C&D is for burley what McClellands used to be for Virginia leaf. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs, but the flavoring gives the tobacco prominence.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
These all sound like great suggestions, I think I will try them all or most of them if I can get the go ahead from the missus. I actually have just mixed up a blend that was modelled after Pegasus/anglers dream that is a gift for my wife for Christmas. I made a ln extraction of Vietnamese cinnamon and applied it to the tobaccos, and now I'll be adding a small amount of whole cinnamon to the blend before pressing it. I did all of that, never even trying Pegasus or Anglers Dream, and that probably needs to be rectified!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
If you don't try any of the Manil offerings you're missing out on the complete burley experience IMO.

I particularly like Le Petit Robin.

Semois is almost a category by itself.
I believe I mentioned semois in the original post, definitely unique stuff and I really enjoy it. I smoke a bowl of it almost everyday, and it's what got a cigar loving friend of mine to consider the pipe, he is really smitten with it too. I could only find the Brumeuse, where can I find the petit Robin fine cut?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I believe I mentioned semois in the original post, definitely unique stuff and I really enjoy it. I smoke a bowl of it almost everyday, and it's what got a cigar loving friend of mine to consider the pipe, he is really smitten with it too. I could only find the Brumeuse, where can I find the petit Robin fine cut?
I think Cup O Joe's still has some in stock.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Can’t say I ever remember smoking SWR, but this STG SWR, WOW, every pipe smoker should at least smoke a bowl.

And, can’t remember if I ever smoked Burleys before, but I seriously give a vote to check out Solani Aged Burley Flake, as I certainly will.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I couldn’t edit my post, but as others have suggested, you should check out Vincent Manil’s blends, he also grows and blends his Tobacco, one of the very few, a real Artisan!

Status
Not open for further replies.